Wii U Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Jacob007, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    #1 Jacob007, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    This thread is for openly discussing the Wii U, a Nintendo console and a follow up to the Wii gaming system. The Wii U will have a pad/tablet controller, HD, and regular Wii games can be played on it. It is slated to come out Holiday 2012.

2. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Has anyone else seen Project P-100? My most anticipated game besides Smash Bros 4.

3. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I imagine the Wii U will be much like the Wii... good for family/group multiplayer, slightly lacking for the hardcore gamer. Nintendo set the standard for motion control but I feel Msoft are catching up fast with Kinect... and the rumoured Kinect 2.0 + new console are more appealing to me.

I don't like the Wii U display pad at all. Who wants to keep switching their gaze between tv and pad? The additional touch controls for the latest Rayman looked like an irritating gimmick in a demo vid i saw recently.

Regardless, I'm sure Nintendo will continue to carve their niche in the market and do well with it.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I thought the Rayman Legends game looked awesome, especially the rhythm section. It's like combining Elite Beat Agents with a platformer. Brilliant if you ask me, but then EBA (and the Japanese-only sequels) is one of my favorite games of all time.

Also from what I've been reading, ZombieU actually sounds pretty awesome and a great use of the tablet.

Also I like that you can play the games on the tablet display only. They realized that many portable gamers play in their house, not just on the road. I guess the question, though, is will it work through walls, because I'd like the option of lounging in bed and playing games on the tablet display.

Alas, we've had a lot of expenses lately that are going to put off any WiiU purchase until next year at the earliest. Oh well.

5. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    I loved Rayman Origins, but that game was immense with a very simple control scheme that made everything flow nicely. I wonder if that'll be somewhat disrupted by the tablet aspect. Perhaps my bias lies, in part, with how much I like the ergonomics of the 360 pad.

With regards to playing games on the tablet... I think that could be a good pull for some as it'd free up the TV for others to watch programs etc... but then, is there a headphone socket? And do you really want to play those hd games on that low res tablet screen? And most importantly, will I have to get out of bed to power on the U, or can that be done from the tablet? :D

6. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    The original Wii had a power button on the remote. But yea, It looks like my kinda thing. ZombiU got pretty good reception too.

7. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    It has been confirmed that you can play Legends with the traditional Pro Controller. How else would Co-op work?

8. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    What is the resolution and size (or PPI) of the tablet display? Has that been reported?

9. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    http://e3.nintendo.com/wiiu/

That is all that the official website says.

10. Jacob007

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm hoping the prices for the games are about $60, give or take. Due to the new HD games, I'm thinking Nintendo may increase the price of the Wii U games, but if they increase it too much, they won't sell.
    And for the console, I'm paying $275 tops, I'm hoping for around $250, though. How about you guys?

11. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    #11 bmdino, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    I believe there is a rumor that the console would be $250, and the tablet was $100. it's a rumor though

12. Jacob007

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I'll do with the console being $250, I believe thats how much the Wii was when it was released. Now the tablet for $100 is what's going to kill Nintendo if they sell it for that much. The tablet should come with the Wii U or be sold for $50 tops. I suppose if they sell it with the Wii U, though, they'd have to increase its price.

13. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    I think it's pretty safe to assume you'll get a tablet controller bundled with the system. The $100 would be for additional controllers seen as how the system supports two at the same time.

14. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I really can't imagine the would sell it without the tablet controller. The rumor I've seen is $299, but again that's a rumor.

15. bubblepop900

bubblepop900 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2011
    There's no way it will sell for under $300 (assuming the controller is included). However, if it is more than $350, many are going to pass it up.

16. Jacob007

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I know I'd pass it up if it were more than $350! $300 is pretty much my limit. Nintendo really needs to analyze their pricing, one mistake could result in a total flop. The sad thing is; It happened before with the 3DS.

17. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Well, all the info about the system is now out. What do you guys think? For one, those launch titles are freaking fantastic in comparison to the trash the 3DS offered upon releasing 1.5 years ago.

18. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I still want one. If only to play Arkham City Armored Edition.

Nintendo really has one of the strongest launch lineups ever with BLOPs2, ZombieU, NSMBU, Nintendoland, and a crap ton of other games.

19. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yeah, they're really appealing to the "hardcore" gamers here.

20. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Will definitly get one when a new Zelda Game will get launched for it till then I will probably watch Let`s Play Videos on YouTube :D