iPhone Gamepad - ergonomics NAO PLZ

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by pleaseinsertacoin, Sep 4, 2010.

1. pleaseinsertacoin

pleaseinsertacoin New Member

Sep 4, 2010
    #1 pleaseinsertacoin, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    Hi All,

A few days ago I came up with an idea for an iPhone/iPod touch gamepad. You know how gampads people really like - 360 controller, dualshock, etc - always have real grips? And all-around ergonomics? So what if there was an iPhone gamepad with some real ergonomics and an SDK for gamedevs to use and incorporate into their games?

I know there's this and this and i suppose there's tons more "in development", "on the drawing board" or "TBA" or whatever but if such an accessory existed...

...would you buy?

And more importantly, what do you think is essential? In my opinion it should have 2 analog sticks, at least two buttons (think A and B or something), a small, yet usable, D-pad and L1, L2, R1, R2 buttons as well. Maybe the second rear buttons could be lost, but I'd like 'em.
    Also, perhaps vibration? Although that might prove harmful to the phone...

So yeah, discuss away.

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Make its profile as thin as an Apple bumper with two raised transparent recesses for the d-pad and buttons and I think you'll have a winner. Feel free to patent that idea btw, it's a freebie. Here's my "Napkin" mockup.
    Screen shot 2010-09-04 at 12.02.11 PM.png

3. pleaseinsertacoin

Sep 4, 2010
    Dunno, that seems like it would be an aesthetically pleasing concept but I'm thinking more about something you'd remove after use... Like something that doesn't stay on at all times.

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #4 Cilo, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    Probably the main reason why the android game gripper is a hot seller is because it's small, fits in your pocket to get your gaming fix on properly. I know there isn't any circuitry involved, but I think the minute someone can engineer something similarly slim for the iPhone it'll be insanely successful.

Sorry about my first post, I was partly joking because I doubt it can be done at this point in time, but I can dream can't I? I just don't see those larger iOS gamepad attachments being realistic, you might as well carry a DS or PSP.

I'm an iOS game addict btw lol.

5. pleaseinsertacoin

Sep 4, 2010
    Interesting about the Android thing...

Anyone else? Still eager to hear your thoughts

6. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    A lot of people would buy this, if developers would support it. I would personally, but it would have to be reasonably priced, like under $30, and have neccessary buttons. I'd say d-pad, a,b,c, and D buttons start/select and the type of gameboy advance trigger thing, or an xbox trigger. I would definately love dual analog sticks though.

Also, you could try to put every single snes button on it :p That might work.