How easy is it to get OUT of the developer program?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by wastedyuthe, Mar 12, 2009.

1. I have just read through the extensive License agreement for the developer program, and found where they mention your contract can be terminated if you don't abide by the rules etc, but what about if you just want to stop paying your $99 per year? Is it easy to do? I am aware your apps would be removed from the store once this is done (well I'd assume so anyway).
    I just want to know I can get out of something once I am in it.

2. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    You can't. You MUST develop for Apple. jk :)

I don't know if anyone knows what the renewal process is like yet. We'll find out when we actually have to renew and Apple has a system prepared to use.

3. Hehe.

So you have to renew each year? So perhaps then there is an option to NOT renew, therefore terminating your contract, and removing your apps from the store, and Apple not taking $99 from you for the following year.

4. bit_Jon

bit_Jon Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Artist/Markerting
    Chicago IL
    LoL, yeah once you complete the registration apple sends you an e-mail saying "We now own you, and everything you will ever create. That includes your first born child."

No, I'm pretty sure if you stop submitting apps and stop paying them they will just terminate your account.

5. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    We're getting close to the actual first renewal time... so we'll know more soon.

6. Thanks PoV. Please keep us posted. I am sure I am not the only one interested.

7. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm definitely interested. When is renewal time? Around May-ish?

8. I'm guessing renewal time is one year after you signed up?

9. allenp

allenp Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Information Architecture
    Hanover, NH
    Well the first iPhone devs got in during March 2008, but I've read that Apple is going to have a 90 day grace period (probably due to their inability to keep up with demand).

So it looks like June would be the actual cut-off date for the people that got in right away.