Hedgewars

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Hedgewars, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Hedgewars

Hedgewars Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Hi there guys, I thought I'd take this oppotunity to present a game to you that's currently in development for the iphone/ipod touch called Hedgewars.

Hedgewars has been around for a while in the form of a free turn based strategy game for windows, linux and mac. You can go and download the desktop version right now from Hedgewars.org and play online against the growing members of our community.

Hedgewars is at heart a multiplayer game where players invent a team of hedgehogs and take it in turns to wage war on enemy teams. Testing your accuracy, strategy and reactions as you use a variety of wacky and fun weaponry to aid you in your task.

Here's an old video of the desktop version.

I want to tell you about some of the key features of Hedgewars.

- Create a completely customizable team, choose their names, flags, forts, voices and dress them in amusing hats and outfits
    - Many unique and wonderful weapons to choose from, many never seen before in any game
    - Extremely low bandwidth netplay, should work over 3g and possibly even edge!
    - 3GS 'Enhanced' version will be able to play against players playing the desktop versions of the game
    - Many "gameplay modifiers" allows you to play with your own unique gameplay rules
    - Randomly generated and predefined maps, for unlimited number of arenas
    - Pass 'n' play
    - Strong and scary AI

And much more :)

This is still heavily in development and we don't yet have a date in mind, but those of you that are interested can practice on the desktop version and find out what we have in store for you.

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    WOW. That. Looks. Really. GOOD. :)

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Worms ended up having terrible controls. What about your game? Are you "playing to the strengths and philosophies of the iPhone's unique features" to justify some gimmicky tilt-and-whirl control system or are you actually playtesting the thing?

4. Hedgewars

Hedgewars Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Controls make or break a game, and we won't be sacrificing them here.
    There will be no tilting or whirling, the controls will be logical, easy to use and ergonomic. At present there are no plans to make use of the accelerometer at all, save for perhaps screen rotation.

That said, I'd be interested in hearing what you guys consider a good control scheme for this kind of game.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Now that's what I call a clone, but a good looking clone nonetheless. If it plays better than Worms I'm in.

6. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    For one thing, we need to be able to zoom in, zoom out, and pan very effectively. Its important for this type of game. When worms first came out, this aspect of the game was so horrid.

7. Hedgewars

Hedgewars Member

Sep 24, 2009
    You can already zoom in and out :) and panning works too. These are features of the hedgewars engine.
    You can see a demo of the zoom feature here:

This is running on the desktop version but the iphone version will work the same.

8. mr-ipod touch

mr-ipod touch Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Looks fantastic!

seems really smooth, i can't wait to try it. :p

9. Cause007

Cause007 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    This is what WORMS should have looked like... good performance and adapted much more for iPhone. I'm keeping an eye out for this one.

10. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    http://www.hedgewars.org/node/1982

[​IMG]

11. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    This looks really cool.

12. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member