The New Layout BLOWS!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by russiaone, Aug 15, 2009.

?

Does the Front Page Look Cluttered to You?

1. YOU BET YOUR LIFE it does!

18 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. It doesn't put my interneting into JEOPARDY!

21 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. I'd like to PHONE A FRIEND!

4 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. WHEEL... OF... FORTUNE!

14 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    #1 russiaone, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    How come we can't edit polls? Dangit!

Why is there a section on the front page for New Releases? The Game Releases was fine. Now it looks all cluttered. I say go back to how it was.

Also, I want to point out that I LOVE THIS SITE. It just seems kinda pointless to have two forums for practically the same thing. As well, i've seen many of the same items in each one. How are New Releases any different from the new game releases?

2. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Ok, first CALM down, and second you have never been able to edit polls. Last, is that 3 or 4 inches of your screen REALLY that bad? It should perfect your scrolling skills. Personally, I like it since it gives me even more info on the first page, personally I would like even more and have more "other discussion" entries displayed. But overall, does any of this matter THAT much?

3. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    1st of all those poll options dont make any sense...

2nd of all its fine the way it is.

4. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco

What doesn't make sense about them?

The responses are Yes, No, I don't care, and Wheel of Fortune.

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I dont think anyone else could be able to figure that out by himself. And I still dont know what you meant by wheel of fortune. Doesnt make any sense here:confused:
    I think you got it all wrong. There are no two forums here. Its the same forums. ie "iPhone and iPod Touch Games". The only difference is that Game releases will sort out the threads in this section according to latest replies, whereas the "New Releases" will sort out those threads according to when the first post was made. This is done to make sure new threads dont get buried down by other popular threads.

It`s quite useful IMO, and I really dont think it makes the blog look more cluttered at all.

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    there's room for improvement. it might make sense to remove them from the second list if they are in the first list. but the problem with that is if they are below the default view threshold in the first list, should it still be eliminated from the second list? I'll play with it.

arn

7. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    That makes sense.

That doesnt:confused:. If you cant see it in the first list. then it should be viewable in the second list atleast.

Also one small annoying problem with these two lists is that there are a lot of promo contests held be devs in these forums. Now 2 out of 6 new releases I see there now is not really a new release. May be hold such contests in general games discussions forum instead, just to keep things clean.

Attached Files:

8. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    ya, contests and giveaways may have to be split out.

arn

9. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Is there any way that threads made in 'Game Releases/Newest Releases' can be automatically transferred to 'Game Discussion' after a certain time period?

It's just annoying seeing games that have been out for a while popping up in 'Game Releases' when they have not been recently released and belong only in 'Game Discussion'.

That way, threads in the 'Game Releases' section would be no more than, say, 2 days old. It would also mean that actual new games would no longer be pushed back down to the bottom of the list, just because some people start posting on a thread about a game which has been around for ages.

Maybe a 'New updates' section is needed as well?

10. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
  11. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    edit:

ok, I've changed my mind. Moved Newest Releases below Game Releases, and there still can be duplicates.

arn

12. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Much better! And what's this? A promo section?! Awesome!!!
    Can we change the title of the thread to "New layout rocks!"?....

13. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    Looked a lil odd to me too. Was about to post here. Typed it all out and then realized you had already edited the post. And your post didnt even show that it was edited:eek:.
    I vote for the "TA Admins" to be called "TA Gods" instead. MR style:D

14. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I think you should add an option - Does anyone really look at the front page?

I read the top 1 or two articles, and then jump to the forums. Until you mentioned it, I really never looked hard at the front page - there is really a lot of information there!

I find it much easier to navigate through the forums, and so I would say to make the front page to draw attention to what you want it to.

15. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    I know it can be hard for the forum regulars to realize :) , but the majority of the site's traffic flows through the front page, and the sidebar is a major driver of traffic to the forums.

arn

16. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #16 HardcoreEricXXX, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    That looks so much better! Thanks.
    ****PLEASE FIX THE SEARCH FIELD IN THE FORUMS**** for iPhone and iPod. Before, you had to press the search link and type a letter in the drop-down search bar to make it disappear, then repress the link to have the drop down box to receive input. Now, it only displays a small corner of the drop down box making it unusable. Thanks a lot, you definatly have one of the greatest sites on the net.

17. ImNoSuperMan

Jun 28, 2009
    The search is working on my iPhone. What do u mean here xxx? But it does need some work for sure. You have to press that search link atleast 2-3 times for it to see the search box. Then u have type a letter which makes the box disappear, click on search link again to see tha box again, then type there to finally finish your search. Also don't know if it's a problem coz of ta or a bug in safari(or may be it happens on my iPhone only), but if you try to paste anything in the search box, safari will crash there n then. I'd love to see those fixed :)

18. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    That's all I use on TA. Main articles for relevant info, and the sidebar for forum nav. Anything that's fallen past that is more than likely not even important to me anymore.

19. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    Had this problem forever. I'm kinda glad it isn't just me, maybe that means it'll get fixed.

20. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

Love the forums, always have. My mouse has a crappy scroll wheel, though, but i think it's fine all the same.