Looking for Experience iPhone 2D Game Programmer(LA Area)

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by Visionary, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Visionary

Visionary Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Looking for a skilled Objective C/C++ and OpenGL programmer with experience programming with the iPhone SDK for a high risk opportunity to make an even higher amount of revenue.

Before I explain my offer I'd first like to establish my background.
    I'm currently attending college with a double major in Business Administration and Computer Science and work for a successful iPhone Development company.
    All my life I've been playing games, reading reviews, and scanning forums in order to gain a very large knowledge of video games and their market.
    With my current job, part of what I do requires me to understand the App Store's unique market and be able to predict what types of games will sell well on it.
    I also focus alot of energy on Game Design, and I've had a lot of experience designing both simple and complex iPhone games that are currently on the App Store.

With that in mind, I've designed a game that I am very confident will be hugely successful on the App Store.
    With an idea like this, I'd like to capitalize on it as soon as I can before a game similar to it is released.
    Unfortunately I do not have enough experience with game programming to program the entire game by myself and create the art for it.

What I'm looking for:
    I need an independent contractor to fully program my 2D puzzle-type game. I will supply all art and design documents in order to make your job easy.
    I do not have alot of money so I cannot pay you an upright fee. But I know if my game is made it will make ALOT of money, so I will pay you 30% of the revenue for your work.

Throughout my months researching the App Store I've seen games with 2 star average ratings and (what appears to be) very few downloads actually sell hundreds of thousands of units for prices such as 2.99. (That's a couple hundred thousand dollars for a bad game!)

I want serious offers only. I WILL NOT share with you my idea until we've met in person. And I WILL NOT share with you what company I work for.

2. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    How did you acquire your art? Having top-notch assets is a critical part of appstore success.

How can you be certain that your game idea would make a lot of money? There are a lot of factors that drive the success of hit apps, many not under the producer's control. If you are that certain that your app would be a success, why not borrow some money and pay a developer up front, rather than offer them 30% of what you anticipate to be a lot of money?

I'm curious what you mean by "appear to be very few downloads." In my experience, in the long term, the number of downloads is essentially directly proportional to the number of user reviews posted for an app.

I would also be careful not to assume to much from months-old data. The dynamics in the app store are constantly shifting. Look no further than the release of 3.0, 3gs, and recent price drops by large publishing houses.

Good luck,
    Phil

3. Visionary

Visionary Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Between my two friends and I, we are in process of creating the necessary sprite art for the game.

Although a truly subjective opinion, I consider myself to have a great deal of insight on the video game business. Since it has been something I've followed my entire life, I identify with the opinions of every gamer out there. I notice sales patterns and how they strategically reflect themselves on the opinions of the consumer. The game I've designed takes into account the features I very confidently have concluded will create a very popular iPhone game. The other aspect of my confidence has to do with the fact that I understand how to properly market a game and am going to focus a great deal of effort onto public awareness. True, I could borrow money and pay an upright fee, and if an experienced developer preferred this we could discuss it openly. However it's easier for me to just offer a revenue percentage.

As I said, I work for an iPhone Development company. Although I strictly can not give you any information about any company details, I can tell you that I've had access to sales numbers that completely conflict with review patterns.

As for recent App Store activities, I've been watching and everything has been taken into account.

Thank You for your Questions,
    -Visionary

4. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I might be able to help check your PM.