iPhone Whoowasit? Boardgame (from Dr. Reiner Knizia)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Ravensburger, Jun 25, 2012.

1. #1 Ravensburger, Jun 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
    We're happy to announce that we are near the finish line developing the iOS-App of "Whoowasit?" from Dr. Reiner Knizia. This game is based on the famous child boardgame which was "Kinderspiel des Jahres 2008" (Childrens game of the year 2008) in Germany.

The game is being developed by Mimimi Productions who won the WWDC 2012 Apple Design Award for their game daWindci!

Please find attached some screenshots. A first video will be added soon, once we've finished the voice-recordings.

Some facts:
    - Based on the famous boardgame "Whoowasit?" from Dr. Reiner Knizia
    - "Kinderspiel des Jahres 2008" (Childrens game of the year 2008)
    - Full Retina-Support on iPad
    - Smart 3D-Effect (see it in the upcoming trailer)
    - Up to four players
    - Lots of nice achievements
    - Fully translated into English, French, Netherlands and German (including on-screen-text AND all voiceovers!)
    - Use the app to enhance the boardgame (replace the electonic-device with your iDevice for better sound quality!)
    - Release: 6th of September 2012
    --> Find more information about the boardgame itself on BoardGameGeek: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33643/whoowasit

Here is the latest trailier:

Attached Files:

2. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    This looks great! I looked it up on boardgamegeek to find out a bit more about the game. Here is there page about the physical game. Looks like it is for players age 7 and up, but unfortunately it looks like it is unplayable if you don't know the language. Any comments on that? Would it be enough if one player understands English or is understanding of English required for all players? Alternatively, is the game perhaps available in Dutch too?

3. Hi Lena,

the game supports only English, French, German and Netherlands language (fully text AND all voiceovers). We might add more languages in the future, but are limited to the four for the time being.

Cheers!

4. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Only for iPad? I want to play it on iPhone!

5. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks Ravensburger! The language in the Netherlands is Dutch, so I am glad we will be able to play this.

6. I read through the English PDF rules and kinda get the gist of it. Kinda like Clue find out who is the thief. Also like that 1980 game Stop Thief which had an electronic handheld device which made noises such as glass breaking, footsteps, walking outside, taking subway, crime committed. Those audio clues allowed one to deduce where the thief might be on the board and you can to roll two dice which determined how many spaces you'd move and try to make an arrest before he escaped.

So my question is can you give me an example of the kind of clues the animals speak? This way I'll have a better idea how the gameplay works.

7. #7 Ravensburger, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
    Two versions of the game

@saiyukialex: The game will be released as an iPad-App as well as an separate iPhone/iPod touch App.

@mrbass: Just give us a little bit more time. Trailer will be released soon - then you get a picture of how the animals speak. They for e.g. tell you that the thief has black shoes, or is thin, or for e.g. you have to search in a specific room.

8. Final release date will be 6th of September 2012

We now have a final release date: 6th of September 2012.

9. kendahlj

kendahlj Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    You know....that "Netherlands language" lol