Game as art

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dankrio, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Why is there so much prejudice against gaming on mainstream (it is becoming smaller, though)? I think games are as a legit form of art as everything else. What is more interesting is the level of interaction that it provides with the work.

I feel more immersed on a great game than even on books. In fact, I think games can mix the best between all words: image, text, sound etc, creating an awesome mix without the limitation of the other medias. Also, it is my favorite form of entertainment (tv shows coming on second).

What do you guys think about the subject?

2. goldlogsh

goldlogsh Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Sure that game is a combination of all forms of art. Especially to those sophisticated works, they are art itself.
    Guess that's why there are titles like game ARTIST, music COMPOSER for games. They must truly see their game work as art, and feel real proud when folks showing affections to their job. And to game designers and programmers, greater respect :cool:

3. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb Software (Avernum, Avadon) fame just wrote a great blog on the subject at http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2016/09/no-video-games-arent-art-were-better.html

Yes games can be art, absolutely no question in my mind.

I believe those that slight the artistic value of video games generally haven't grown up with gaming or very casually play the yearly sports game / first person army shooter. Not saying those games are bad games or that those people are not real gamers but there are some, or maybe many, that stick to digital simulations of real activities that might see gaming in a more narrow lens than people like us who are passionate enough about gaming to regularly post on a message board.

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    That was an entertaining read, Jason! Thanks for sharing!

One thing that I think hurt games, on the other hand, is compatibility issues. If you don't have system x (which always get obsolete) you might risk not being able to run a game or having a subpar experience. I hope it is something that gets adressed in the near future.

Games need to be more "universal" in my opinion.