Zmbi: a 72-hour personal challenge!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gambitph, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gambitph

gambitph Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    #1 gambitph, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012

Zmbi has been released.

This "Upcoming" thread is closed.

-------

A 72-hour personal challenge of mine.

I came up with a very simple concept where you are a dumb zombie moving forward endlessly from city to city. Each obstacle he encounters will kill him and it's up to you to flick the object out of the way. The occasional hopeless person can be devoured and will become a zombie that'll join you. The number of zombies you have will serve as your number of lives in the game. The score will be the distance you've traveled without dying.

Current progress (this video keeps getting updated):

This is the progress after the first 3 hours of the challenge. All of the objects here except for the lamp post would be the flick-able obstacles:
    [​IMG]

I'm still thinking of more obstacles and more ideas to make this small game more fun, all suggestions are welcome!

2. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    hour 4 update: added more obstacles. I plan to put in unique animations on how a zombie dies depending on the obstacle, this might be time consuming but it sounds like a good addition.

a traffic light (zombies wont die with this), 2 cones, mailbox, phonebooth, bench, and 2 bananas (yes zombies will die on these)
    [​IMG]

3. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    Hour 5: this is the last of the obstacles:
    [​IMG]

Hitting the bus (and humvees above) will kill all the zombies, so flicking those obstacles is a must!

4. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    Testing a zombie death by trash can sequence:

5. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    Current progress. Total manhours maybe around 24 hours.

Got multiple zombies on the screen working, with just trashcans spawning. So the goal is to swipe the obstacles out of your zombie army's way. Obstacles that touch the zombies would trigger a death sequence.. either the zombie get decapitated, or its body gets severed, or he trips on the trashcan and gets his head severed. Still thinking of how to implement a death sequence of the zombie getting squished flat on the ground.

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I see lots of potential in the last video. I simply love the pixel art and the funny death ragdoll animations :D cant wait to see some zombies slip on that banana haha. Keep up the great work!

Ill dedinitely keep an eye on this thread.

7. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    Haha thanks @Primoz! Check the video, the banana peel is in there :)

Here's an update, just now got 30 man hours into the game since I had some personal stuff to take care of. I got some other obstacles finished: banana peel, dumpster, barbed wire, barricade, and the front side humvee. Still a lot more to do though!

8. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    #8 gambitph, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    36 hours into the development. I'm finally done with all the death animations. I ditched the bus since I decided to just have all of the obstacles to always get only up to 1 kill each. Made the humvee also drive forward for some unique factor. I find the mailbox animation especially delightful with the flying letters being scattered

Time to move on finishing the main gameplay before time runs out

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I was in school when you posted that video, so I showed it to my classmates and we had a good laugh, because the death animations are just hilarious! Especially the one with the banana peel :D
    When we saw the telephone booth we were like: "Oooo now it's gonna kip over!" but it did nothing special (take this as a suggestion :) ). But still, awesome work so far!

10. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    #10 gambitph, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    Haha nice! Alright, lemme see how ridiculous I can make the phonebooth one. How about... his head falls to the ground, then the booth slowly tips over and crushes it. haha!

Thanks for the suggestion, if you have more please do say! :)

Edit: I watched the video again, yea you're right the phonebooth was the weakest one in the bunch

11. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    Changed the phonebooth animation to something cooler!

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Omg haha! I have to show them this on Monday, let me share those vids on FB and we will see what me and my classmates can come up with :D

13. Wikilix

Wikilix Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    OC, MD
    Looks like a fun game. Audio?

14. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    #14 gambitph, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    @Primoz, awesome! Let me know what your classmates think!

@Wikilix, perfect timing with the question. I just added sounds today! (see video below)

Update: in my 45th hour already.. time flies by! Did a ton of work today and added lots of stuff to the game including: partially working title screen, an awesome logo (imho), partial game center leaderboard support, a spawning man who can be bitten and turned into a zombie (giving an additional life), life and distance tracking, sound effects and a cool soundtrack! Whew!

Also.. I'm thinking of putting 2 modes in the game now. One is where you are the zombies and try and get as far as you can, swiping obstacles out of the way; and the other is where you are the humans and try and get away from the zombies using obstacles to kill the zombies.

15. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    #15 gambitph, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    52nd hour update. Added an item in the game: a brain (*shocker*). They'll spawn on the ground same as with obstacles. When you get 3 brains, your zombies will become temporarily bigger and insanely stronger; they'll destroy all obstacles they touch. Tweaked the weights to allow the obstacles to be easily swiped off the screen.

Since the game is almost complete and I'm about to run out of time, I'm going to post Zmbi in the upcoming games section soon! :)

16. gambitph

Aug 22, 2012
    Game Developer
    Philippines
    62nd hour update. The game is almost complete! Did a lot of tweaks, added backgrounds, better animations, etc. I also had some people play test the game, then adjusted stuff a bit more to make it more enjoyable. So far I'm getting good feedback from those who played it, some were shouting when they accidentally swiped away a brain instead of having the zombies eat them.. I guess that's a good sign for the game. I have a lot more stuff to finish such as the pause screen, gameover screen, and some kind of levelling system though. But I'm sure I'll make it!

I've started a thread in the upcoming forum since I'm only a handful of hours away from finishing the challenge: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=161449

Check out the new images in that new thread as well as an up-to-date gameplay.