Questions about strategy games and such

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Darth Ronfar, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #1 Darth Ronfar, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    I just played a little bit of modern conflict and was wondering what games r similar to that and which ones are considered the best and how theyre different etc...

Is supremacy wars close to what modern conflict is, is battle for Westnoth similar and should I get it if I'm looking for something like modern conflict...

I dunno I'm just not smart about strategy games, I know there's a list, I guess I'm just looking for some basic help from a strategy game veteran... Thanks

Ok I just noticed there's another thread like this where he wants games and I saw people posting alot of stuff I have so I guess I'll list that(I'm not looking for tower defense I guess or atleast traditional I dunno)

Anomaly warzone
    Great little war game
    Anthills
    Jelly defense
    Tiny heroes
    Tiny defense
    PvZ
    Tactical warrior
    Defender chronicles

Battleland
    Knights Rts
    Mushoom war

Last 3 I just got

Also I'll list stuff I'm not really interested in unless u can convice me otherwise-

Nuroshemi hex ( and all those hexagonal type ones)
    Card games
    Board games
    kairo soft
    Zombiefarm/smurf village free app type

some other games I'm interested in -

3 kingdoms (it has a free one and another I think)
    War of eustrath ( I dunno what this is?)
    Siegecraft(got mixed reviews)
    Fantasy defense
    Fantastic Knight
    Flying defense( looks cool and has perfect review)
    Dungeon defender
    Field runner( don't know what it is or y its popular)
    Bloonstd4 ( same here as with FR)
    Ancient war
    Civilization (I guess this is like original or the most popular over time?)
    Conquest
    Chicks
    Kingdoms at war
    Battlepath mosters
    FF Tactics ( The money is the biggest issue I guess, I should've gotten at the price drop but I didn't know if I'd like it, and I still don't... All I can say is I like shining force 2 and final fantasy but not really fire emblem)
    Powder monkeys(looks fun I dunno if fits in here? Heard there's alot IAp)
    4 towers onslaught
    Magic defenders

Theres so many, I don't know what to get.... Maybe a few good ones if it's worth the price and etc... I need some insight

2. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    Out of the ones ur interested in, I would say try war of eustrath. Dungeon defender. Ff tactics. Civ (not a bad game if ur not expecting it to be as big as the pc ones). Siegecraft. The others I either havnt played much or don't have. But I would add warpgate, distant star, ascendency, hunters ep one, palm heroes, starbase orion. Majesty, defenders of ardania. Settlers and greed corp

3. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    I have civilization and it is a really fun game, it's not like the computer version but it is simplified and easy to play for 15 minutes or 3 hours. I seriously recommend it. There is also a lite version if you want to try it out

4. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    I don't know why people run away from King of Dragon Pass when I mention it. It's honestly one of the best and deepest RPG/TBS games I've played even off of iOS. It doesn't have a single bad review and most people that love it are Civilzation fans. The game literally has 5 star reviews coming out the wazoo and is easily considered one of the best games on iOS!!! It's honestly my most recommended strategy game!!!

Civilzation: Revolution is a good game, but I couldn't get into the iOS version after playing it on Xbox 360. TBH, it was deleted almost immediately.

Siegecraft got bad reviews(at least back when I bought it) for not being a hardcore RTS. It's a casual RTS that does its job very well and is extremely fun. This is another case of people not understanding what they bought. I see this all the time.

Don't really know the question about FF Tactics. You'll defifinitely get your money's worth just like KoDP. I never played FF on iOS, but I always get my money's worth out of Square Enix games! It's ultimately up to you if you want to pull the $16 trigger! But yeah, the reviews are somewhat mixed, so...

Starbase Orion is another amazing 4x strategy game and is also highly recommended!

All the others are either meh or I haven't played!

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #5 undeadcow, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    GoofyJr has good suggestions also consider the less popular but totally amazing Mangobile games, Knighturn and Sword & Earrings.

The Call of a Cthulhu game coming in the 30th could be a game changer.

Ravenmark is a polished urn based strategy.

I really enjoy Palm Heroes 2 which is larger scale army gathering game hat clones Heroes of Might & Magic.

Tiny Heroes is not really a strategy game but is worthy.

6. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    @undeadcow How did I forget Ravenmark...

Yeah, Call of Cthulhu does look pretty awesome. I didn't realize it was coming out so soon though.

7. Danielfang7

Danielfang7 Well-Known Member

siegecraft is fine i think its really fun