Lemmings - LIVE DEVELOPMENT BLOG!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mobile1up, Jun 23, 2010.

1. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    Mobile 1UP has bitten the bullet and decided to do what it has wanted to do for ages!

Mobile 1UP is porting its Lemmings implementation "as-is" from Palm OS to iPhone/iPod and the Palm Pre (we will also do desktop versions, if needed) over the next few days, you can monitor the development progress live!

http://www.mobile1up.com/blog/
    http://www.mobile1up.com/lemmings/blog/

It will be submitted to the app store later this week for FREE including all original 120 levels. Why not see what is involved with porting code between different platforms and at the same time providing feedback! The first conceptual screen shot is here:

[​IMG]

Mobile 1UP has previously ported its iPhone games to Palm Pre in a matter of five hours; so we do not believe we'll need that long to get something showing on the display and giving everyone an inside view of how this gets done :) Once we get started; things will happen so fast!

Spread the word!

2. KitKatBar

KitKatBar Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Awesome! I love lemmings, can't believe it's going to be free too!

3. Lazuli

Lazuli Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Wow. One of the great games of all time free, hopefully the controls are nailed down well. You mention that all 120 original levels are included, the wording gives the slightimpression that more levels are on the way after initial release. Any info on this? ;)

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Awesome! Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! And for free?! Triple times more awesome!! I've been wishing for Lemmings for my iPod touch ever since I got my iPod touch!! Sweet!!!

5. graffekta

graffekta Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    London
    Not being funny as I'd love to see this, but don't Sony own the rights to Lemmings now?

6. Wow, sweet! I can't remember if you answered this or not but did you ever get the licensing for it from whoever the heck owns the rights now? (Rockstar North?)

7. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    read the blog - since phase 1 is porting the palmos version "as is" - the 120 levels are going to be there.. in fact, i just built a version where i can switch between all 120 levels.. so the loading of the data is working great :)

no-one knows who owns it anymore, thats why i'm doing it free. i just want to play it. there is lemmings DS out there which has not been affected, and neither was my original version i had on Palm OS.. we'll see. it is kinda a marathon thing i'm doing right now :p switching jobs, plenty of spare time!

8. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    ok - if you want to see the levels loading (no game play yet) - you can grab a binary (mac osx only sorry) and play around with it, go visit the blog and you'll find a download link :) it works exactly the same on iphone, palm pre - and i am sure windows and linux if i booted the virtual machines.

since i'm over here in europe and forgot to eat, probably need some time away (sleep, etc)

9. Uhtred

Uhtred Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Awesome, I'd like to pre-order. I've always loved this game.

10. o0Autumn0o

o0Autumn0o Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Accountant
    Sheffield
    Should be great to have lemmings on the go, will an option to play our own music be added? :)

11. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Great to see this as I do remember seeing this for the Palm, back in the day.

Any chance of us seeing your Mario clone, would be great to see also.

David

12. #12 Mindfield, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    Awesome. I wonder how the rightful owner got lost in the shuffle? DMA Design got swallowed up by Rockstar North and Psygnosis got swallowed by Sony. From what I can tell Psygnosis must have held the IP because DMA only designed the first 6 Lemmings games (Lemmings, Oh, No! More..., Holiday '93, Holiday '94, Tribes, and Chronicles), while 3D was by Clockwork Games and Revolution was by Take-Two, yet all were published by Psygnosis. But if Psygnosis/SCE says they don't own the IP then I couldn't even begin to guess where it's gone.

Not that it matters I suppose. If someone comes round and takes issue with your release, I guess you'll have your answer, and if nobody does, even better. :D

Can't wait for its release. There's only really one semi-passable Lemmings-style game on the iPhone, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the original.

13. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Will this have Game Center? :p

14. ferb12321

ferb12321 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #14 ferb12321, Jun 24, 2010
    I <3 lemmings.
    and to clear things up, Rockstar north owned lemmings, made a few games, lemmings, oh no more lemmings, and lemmings II tribes. then it was sold to pygnosis, who made lemmings 3d for psx&pc, and lemmings revolution for the pc. then pygnosis became Sony Liverpool studio, and then was sold to team17, the maker of worms. Sony publishes their games for ps2, ps3 and PSP. nintendo handles the publishing for the ds version.

edit: nvm I never read the second page

15. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    all our games allow for you to play your own music in the background - of course we'll fix this :) as for adding your own music, specific to the game, that isn't planned right now.

16. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    #16 B34$T, Jun 24, 2010
    Will it take advantage of iOS4? As in multitasking support?

17. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    in what way? the original artwork was done at 640x128 - so, just because there is a massively high resolution screen, not every game should use it. if you remember the game, you'll remember how it used to be very pixellated - thats part of its appeal *g* of course it'll run on iOS4 - phase one is to port it as-is - phase two? well, lets see where that goes.

PS: did anyone download the mac osx binary from yesterday?

18. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    initially - no, later - possibly ;) depends on the uptake of the version and how people react it playing it. i am doing this for fun, not to make everyone happy *g*

19. NightHawk64345

NightHawk64345 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Student
    TuoFort, Badlands
    Are you going to try to port the rest of the 2d lemmings games over to the iPhone after you have finished the one that you are currently working on?

20. mobile1up

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    as in the oh no! xmas! et al? we did a bunch for palmos - but we have our own custom format which was optimized for very small footprint devices. this isn't an official version - and i am only spending a few days on it :)