Best asynchronous chess?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by vivian8, Oct 1, 2017.

1. vivian8

vivian8 New Member

Sep 10, 2017
    #1 vivian8, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Got a buddy who doesn't play games much but loves chess. There are like 12767467 chess apps on the store though and some look pretty cheesy. Having the option to make moves at our leisure during downtime would be ideal too. Thanks!

2. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I guess chess with friends, or chess.com official app. But I've not played chess in a while, last chess I played was that quirky chess game Really Bad Chess. (Chess Cards is another good chess spinoff game)

3. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    The only online chess app I’ve used is SocialChess which works ok. It’s free and without ads for up to 5 games at once. IAP upgrade will allow up to 100 games at once plus a few other options. Choice of fast or slow play with turn response time selectable from 1 to 5 days. An account sign up is required but doesn’t need to go via Facebook.

4. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    chess with friends for the very casual player, chess.com for the player that wants to improve and is willing to work at it, or already has a strong base. Chess.com has a youth partner site I believe, which would be better suited to a beginner of the relevant age.

Chess.com is nice in several ways: huge player base, ability to play on a desktop or mobile, forums, lots of education resources and more. The player base is huge enough that being a real beginner is not prohibitive, but it may make things harder at first.