Does Apple allow demos now?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Pamx, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
  2. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    The 'Lite' version of Football Manager Handheld is identical in nature to the approach taken for our 'demos' on other platforms - you can play for a set (game) time period in-app and then you have to either purchase the game (in which case you can migrate your save to the full game) or start again.

Apple insist on them being called 'Lite' for reasons better known to themselves - but beyond that I think you're pretty much allowed to make them as 'demos' .. its a 'semantics' thing with them on the naming is all.

As to which approach works best, no idea my knowledge base on such things is restricted to just the app I've made so not extensive enough to really say.

3. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Thanks Marc

I imagine that if everyone were to do likewise, the rule would suddenly tighten up! It's so difficult to interpret some of Apples rules and falling foul of them doesn't look too professional. Having said that, it's certainly worth considering as this might be one way to get around the problem of some customers being so delighted with the lite version that they don't bother upgrading. :)

Pam

4. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

No, Apple's policy for Lite versions has always been "self-contained and fully functional application" with no time-bombs and no grayed-out buttons indicating missing components.

Lite version can promote full version, but should do so non-intrusively.

Those are the guidelines, it's entirely up to luck if your app gets approved while breaking them one way or another. Occasionally you see Lite versions which are closer to traditional demos, but that's most likely due to the huge volume of submissions and the QA people interpreting the guidelines subjectively.

5. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    #5 spacecowgoesmoo, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
    Also, I think you're allowed to cheat a bit if you're a big name dev. One of the big rules is that you can't have an obvious reduction of functionality, ie, saying 'These levels are locked because it's the lite version!'.

Check out Star Defense Prelude, by ngmoco. They have big obvious lock icons on the 6 planets that are locked because it's the lite version. Not only that, it's shown in the SECOND FRIGGIN PICTURE of their 5 screenshots! Can't be a coincidence IMO, no one would be able to miss that.

Lite versions happened because initially, Apple didn't allow demos. People made free 'Lite' versions instead to get around that, and it caught on before Apple could stop it. So yes, demos are allowed, you just have to not use the word 'Demo', and follow their rules about Lite versions.

As for getting your Lite approved, my experience is that you're safest if you put the 'Buy Now!' stuff somewhere Apple won't see it. Gomi Lite initially got rejected because we had the entire world map visible, but the Full Version levels were in greyscale. It was in the title screen, and the Apple guy caught it. However, it also has a big "Buy Now!' splash page in it, but it's at the end of the last Lite version level, so the Apple guy probably didn't play through that far and never mentioned it to us.

6. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Then games like Thumpies break the rule? They have 'greyed' levels that need to be unlocked by purchasing the full version, sounds like it's against what Apple said?

7. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    There are tons of games that break Apple's inconsistently-enforced rules in this area. It's not uncommon for an update to a game to get rejected for something that was part of the last 2 approved updates, because a (different) reviewer applied a different standard.