One least one iPhone/iPad developer is complaining about iPad sailes

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by txag2005, Apr 5, 2010.

1. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    TAG Games (twitter.com/TAGGames), the developer for Astro Ranch tweeted this earlier today:

"Doesn't look like an iPad goldrush for devs on the whole. Astro Ranch HD obviously not appealing to iPad early adopters either."

Now I'm sure part of this can be tied to the fact that Astro Ranch isn't a big name game and from what I read about the iPhone version, it's buggy as hell. Still, it's interesting to see that comment.

I wonder how iPad sales went over the weekend, as I expected most developers were looking for sales spikes due to 250,000 new iPad owners rushing to fill out their devices with new apps.

I'm curious if this was a feeling felt by many developers or just TAG.

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #2 Big Albie, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
    I would be surprised if there is a widespread sales spike because of the iPad. Many people just spent up to $800 on a base iPad product, and forking over another $15 or so for a game would seem to be secondary. I think what will happen is people will be more selective in their game purchases considering the higher price point. I think what you will see if more sales on the e-book and music side in the short term because the price point seems more reasonable.

The problem with the majority of games is that while they may enjoy decent or good sales on the iPhone/iPod Touch, a lot of that is based on the cheaper price point. It remains to be seen whether optimized features is enough to justify the higher price point for the mass audience.

In addition, I heard about the iTunes snafu with listing iPad games/apps yesterday. It seems that only the big name devs such as EA had their games appearing on the front page so smaller devs saw little to no exposure.

3. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Well of course they're complaining. I totally forgot about Astro Ranch HD being on the App Store, and I only heard (or read) it once from a press release. I follow Tag Games on Twitter, receive their email updates, and I've only heard it once. They basically brought it upon themselves: no hype, no coverage, and no real push to sell it.

4. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    You are correct about that too. I saw this flood of iPad games here at TA, but for the most part nowhere else. Devs really need to get their act together when it comes to marketing. I spout about this kind of stuff all the time, and yet most devs continue to think that their products will sell themselves.

5. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    The problem is iPhone/iPad gaming exists in its own little world. I've been a gamer my whole life, but only was introduced to iPhone gaming when I was about to go on vacation in December and wanted a game on my phone for the flight. I googled iPhone RPG and found a list of games like Zenonia, Ravensword etc. Before then, I regularly rid most of the big gaming sites/blogs and listened to a number of podcasts. Outside of Flight Control, I never heard any mention of iPhone gaming. All those sites/blogs, big gaming magazines and TV spots are major marketing tools for console/PC games. iPhone gaming really has no access to these. Outside of Kotaku, there really isn't a big gaming site or blog that really pays attention to the iPhone. Even IGN's coverage is on one of their forgotten locations on their site. The only way I find out about iPhone games is this forum, some of the iPhone specific blogs and just browsing iTunes.

6. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Agreed, I'm going to buy an iPad as soon as it hits Australia and I am simply trying to accumulate as many good free/promo code apps as I can. The only apps I'm likely to buy on day one are Plants vs. Zombies HD and maybe Mirror's Edge

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    What are they complaining about? The iPad has only been released in the US, and it won't be until a few weeks before it is released in Europe and Australia. S of course their sales aren't going to be high.

8. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm sure Astro Ranch sold like 2 iPad copies or something ridiculous like that. I just think developers got caught in the hype and thought that this weekend was going to be a gold mine of app sales. Like I said above, it doesn't help TAG Games' case that Astro Ranch is a buggy mess that crashes constantly.

9. Big Albie

Feb 12, 2009
    #9 Big Albie, Apr 5, 2010
    Actually, that's not completely accurate, and I'll tell you why...the gaming audience is but one of multiple audiences developers should focus their marketing. Gaming sites aren't the only outlets the people follow. You have to understand that the audience especially with the iPad is much broader than simply gaming. Truth be told, TA is but a small fish in a large pond in the scheme of things.

Case in point...Playfirst creators of time management games such as Dining Dash and Cooking Dash were on the local news here in San Francisco. A full 5-minute segment was devoted to what these devs were doing to prepare for the iPad launch. The newscast reaches a broad viewing audience and not just gamers. As I've said before, developers really need to understand who makes up their core audience, and it's typically not just gamers.

For example, if you have a children's game or something that younger kids could play, you should be reaching out to children's magazines, blogs and other media outlets because those reach parents who buy the games. Playfirst secured their broadcast segment because they came up with a mainstream story angle and through PR planning and strategic thinking. Games simply aren't about hitting just the gaming sites and outlets. They reach many more audiences than you think.

10. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I don't think many developers believe their products will sell themselves anymore. Most of us, at least us smalltimers, how learned that even with some advertising there is no guarantee of making any money whatsoever. For EA and the other biggies it might not be as much of an issue, they have strong IP's, the press pay attention and if not they have the war-chest to spend on advertising.

Most of the apps released for the iPad so far seem to be upsized iPhone apps and it could simply be that this doesn't interest new iPad users as much. Especially as I suspect the majority of them already owns an iPhone or iPod touch and could get the exact same game for a lower price. I believe the iPad will be huge [for developers] eventually but that the games will also have to deliver experiences that truly differs from their iPhone counterparts.

11. Symbolist

Symbolist Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Once was a writer; then AS became to overwhelming
    #11 Symbolist, Apr 5, 2010
    At the start people tend to invest their money in premium or in totally free titles. They just want to make sure they do not invest wrongly. Astro Ranch is not free - and surely is not premium.

12. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I don't think people will really invest in iPad apps until they start getting high quality exclusives. Problem is of course people won't make high quality exclusives for the iPad unless sales are high, which they don't seem to be.

As a previous poster said, most people aren't going to shell out ANOTHER 5-15 bucks for a game they can get on their ipod touch for 1-5 dollars, albeit with better graphics, but still.

13. Musicrocks182

Musicrocks182 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I also believe that it was a mistake that they made the HD version of Astro Ranch a seperate game. Especially for a game that has been getting some bad press about being buggy and crashing the last thing they should of done is made a SECOND version of it that people will have to rebuy if they get an iPad. My reccommendation for them if they come here and read this is to make it a single universal application.

By the way, I do own the iPhone version of Astro Ranch and will refuse to pay an extra 5 dollars to own it on my iPad as well.

14. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    Definitely - I've known about the ipod/iphones gaming capabilities for quite some time now and recently bought an ipod touch for that reason. However all my friends still seem to think all an iphone/ipod is good for is drinking a fake beer - and these are gamers too. I even have a buddy who spent money on 64gb ipod touch and only uses it for music, email, and internet.

It isn't until I show them something like Tiger Woods, Brothers In Arms/NOVA, or Across Age/The Quest (depending on the crowd), that they understand the power of the machine.

There is a lot more interesting things happening on this scene right now then there is anywhere else in portable gaming. Especially at an independent level. The sad fact is outside of the scene no-one seems to be taking notice.

15. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I disagree with this in part, Albie. I don't think the trend you write of will be "short term" at all; it will be long term. In fact, it will come to define what the iPad is as a product, alongside usage of small productivity and creative apps. The device will skew to an older consumer base than iPod touch (which has a consumer base that buys a HUGE amount of iPhone OS games), and even iPhone proper. Games will not be the biggest chunk of the App Store market for iPad.

While this is also true, don't forget that the consumer base for iPhone/touch also is a big reason why games do so well on the App Store. The iPod touch target consumer market hits smack dab in the "core" gamer audience, with iPhone itself not that much older. iPad, however, seems to appeal to older consumer groups, and those groups aren't that big into games.