Dear ipod game developers

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eatmosushi, Jul 29, 2009.

1. eatmosushi

eatmosushi Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Make a final fantasy tactics or disgaea rip off immediately.

Thank you.

2. stevenbrz

stevenbrz Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
    Pushy much?

3. eatmosushi

Jul 29, 2009
    i'm not being pushy.

a game like reign with unit development and unit equipment could go for $10 easy.

easy.

and before anyone says, "do it yourself", i'm lucky i can turn my ipod on let alone program a game for it.

4. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Ha, at least you're not trying to fool anyone :)

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    And for those of us who give a rip... it is not like those ROMs are public domain or anything.... Being publicly available does not equate to public domain...

6. eatmosushi

Jul 29, 2009
    BUMP

for those of us that want grid based tactical roleplaying games with character development and heavy customization of units.

and are willing to pay for it wink wink nudge nudge

7. gnetro

gnetro Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
     Please developer! we are willing to pay up to $9.99 if it was really a great game and well polished. :p ... or you can also develop a Care Bear or Barbie game. 

8. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I heard that the Final Fantasy games took a couple of guys about 3 weeks to make AND they stopped for lunch each day too. I too am mystified as to why we have not had the full bunch right up to date. But $0.99? Way too expensive. Should be free don't ya think?

9. neon_guide

neon_guide Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Something like Final Fantasy Tactics advance would be very nice, that game was great fun in short bursts.

10. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I was going to respond with some angry programmer talk until I noticed you broke my sarcasm meter :D

Turn based games have a soft spot in my heart, and I think they are the perfect game for the iPhone. Play in short bursts, save and load exactly where you left off. No need to devote your full attention to it. Also- no need for gimmicky on-screen analog sticks or accelerometer controls. Touch/multi-touch is perfect.

Rogue Touch was a warm-up game for me to learn Objective-C, the iPhone SDK, and how to make a game with a seemingly impossible control scheme play easily on a touch screen. I think it turned out very well, especially when compared to the original PC, Atari ST, and Mainframe Rogue, and that "other rogue" in the app store. The knowledge and concepts gained in writing it will apply to several turn based games I have in planning right now.

In addition to my own plans, I hope other developers pick up on the TBS genre and run with it! :cool: