Android "exclusives" game thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by defred34, Dec 21, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hey all,

I figured out some of us here have Android devices and as such play Android games too, so I thought we best get a thread running to talk ONLY about games that are exclusive to the Android platform at the time of discussion. For other games that are already present on iOS, please find its thread and discuss there.

Hope to see people participating in this thread.

Thanks!

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    A quick note:

We normally try to keep discussions of Android gaming to a minimum here -- this is an iOS gaming site, after all. But I think there's room to have a narrow thread on Android exclusives, just like we have threads on Vita and 3DS gaming. Personally, I'm a bit curious to see what comes up, since Android exclusives usually make it to iOS eventually.

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Actually I can't think of many although I don't game on android a lot in truth there was a lot of kairosoft games that came out beforehand but I think nearly all of them have made it to IOS now the only real one I can think off without doing a search is Disgaea Netherworld Unbound.

I guess you could count Onlive.

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I enjoy the application 'Tasker', which lets you add customised functionality to your Android device.

eg;
    When the phone rings, display a custom screen, with extra options.
    When the phone connects to your work wifi, change various settings.
    Announce the name of each SMS received and read the message out.
    Automatically start you fav music app when headphones are plugged in.
    etc.

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I do pretty much the same thing with automateit I have read Tasker is very good but a little complex, my work building isn't great for signal so I have it do things like check where I am and turn on airplane mode in case I forget and turn the signal back on at my breaks etc. Also I like to have it reset the screen brightness when it's charging and speak the charge levels when it gets to a certain percentage.

My favourite thing is a little stupid but it's probably hearing it speak when it's fully charged I have it say "Your Samsung Galaxy is now fully charged".

6. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    One place where you can find a lot of exclusive Android games is Tegrazone. Some examples of those not on iOS: Auralux*, Hamilton, Puddle*, Zombie Driver, Orgarhythm, Sumioni, Expendable Rearmed, Renaissance Blood, Jett Tailfin, Demolition Inc, Meltdown on Mars. I particularly like Auralux and Puddle.

Some of these games have also been announced to come to iOS sometime in the future.

But yeah, Android doesn't really have a MAJOR exclusive, like iOS has with IB.

Edit: Currently one major exclusive I can think of is Ikaruga, but even then this is not available in US and Europe, and is localized in Japanese.

7. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #7 Coldar, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    Nice to see an Android thread!
    Wondering if Android games have prices discounted also if iOS games go on sale most times? Not trying to sound cheap but curious mainly to see how close they're pricing is related.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Can this thread also include Nokia, Blackberry and PalmPilot exclusives?

Just wondering because I always enjoyed Snake on those devices a lot. Anyone have any tips for getting the snake to grow past 16 pixels? I always died at that point, though interestingly all my buddies with 64x64 res phones made it a lot farther.

9. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    No, can we please just keep this on the Android track please?

10. defred34

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    A brief pricing history. In the early days, games used to be free on Android (ad-supported of course) since Android Market wasn't available in most countries. Now, this method still is prevalent but not as much as last time.

On the sale side of things, yeah on Android there are. A few times each year, Google takes control - for example, we have had 10 days of $0.10 sales, 10 days of $0.25 sales, some days there were $0.99 sales, for both apps and games.

Developers also put their games on sale, but on Android the main issue is we don't have credible price tracking apps. iOS is much mature in that sense. The only good one on Android is this, and it is far from complete. The main way o keep up with sales is to follow Android news blogs.

Also, keep in mind games cannot go paid>free>paid on Android. Once free, forever free.

11. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #11 Coldar, Dec 22, 2012
    deleted

12. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #12 Coldar, Dec 22, 2012
    Thanks for the info. Kind of new to the Android scene so the post was informative to me. I'd been checking on GP each day as to what sales are to be got as I couldn't figure out any other way and never noticed the app page you had linked. Nice tool to find the sales. Appreciated.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I was joking :p won't bother you anymore here.

14. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Nice to be able to find some discussion on Android going on here.

Some news flash for iOS users who may not be too aware of the Android world:

- Tegra 4 launched with 72 GPU cores (on paper it seems more powerful than that in the iPad 4 but that remains to be seen)

[​IMG]

- nVidia has also outed the Project Sheild handheld gaming console running on Android and powered by Tegra 4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- A few new Tegra 4 games have been announces, some or most of which should come to iOS too

[​IMG]

15. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Real Boxing is already on iOS.

16. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    I was under the impression Dead Trigger was on iOS too.

17. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The one Android exclusive that I'm really jealous of is their unofficial Dominion app (I don't know what it's called offhand, but I think it has all the expansions). One of my friends has an Android phone and that is the one he has that makes me jealous. :)

18. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    #18 leonard_dabinski, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    Wow. You want me to list them out? Do yourself a favour and go to www.tegrazone.com and about 40% don't exist on iOS, I think.

Some of my personal favs:

- Puddle
    - Auralux
    - Hamilton's Great Adventures
    - Orgarhythm
    - Sumioni
    - Zombie Driver

All the above are either ports of Steam or PS Vita games.

Actually, to be really honest, a lot of Android games do not exist on iOS. It is just that these games are buried under all the freemium garbage these days. Plus the fact that the Android equivalent of TA doesn't exist doesn't help to bring to light good Android-exclusive games to the masses.

Update: other good Android exclusives include Expendable Rearmed, Exzeus 2, Jett Tailfin Racers (for kids), Demolition Inc and Big Top.

19. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Is it possible for me to take over this thread? Or at least get a front page post? Looks like the OP is banned so he cannot contribute any more.

I have a laundry list of non-Tegra Android-exclusive games, just to show you such a thing exists on Android!

We start with Rescue Roby - physics puzzler with a new mechanic. This may be the next big hit as well cause I have been having a great deal of fun playing it. Might come to iOS too...who knows?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.missingames.rescueroby

20. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    lol, I only just noticed that. He's been stalking me for a while so I won't shed a tear! Roll on defred35 then I guess.

On topic, I can't think of anything that's "OMG wow" and there probably won't be. We actually make more money out of Android than iOS, but the common myth is that iOS is waaaaaaay more profitable. (And I guess that's true if you're in the top 10, but it's not a realistic business plan to need that.)

If a small dev can only afford to target one platform, it's not hard to guess which one it's going to be. Bigger devs will probably target both, or write off Android for the fractured market support hassle.