i might buy a mac and be a dev:

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by anonymous, Mar 28, 2009.

1. anonymous

anonymous Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    skater
    US
    1.whats the cheapest mac to make games on?
    2.if i make a game would a game like geometry wars be cool?

2. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    1. Mac mini
    2. Yes, but only if it is pulled off well. It may be too ambitious for a first project.

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Please tell me you know how to code.

4. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Exactly what I was thinking :p

5. As a cautionary tale, My games are currently making less than $1 a day combined, so unless you think you can make better games than that, don't expect to make any money for it.

As a hobby it can be a lot of fun, there just isn't any money in iPhone games unless you hit the big time, which is now swamped with big commercial games.

6. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    yeah. There are success stories, but they are hard to actually be a part of.

7. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I disagree, a bit. There is money to be made, even if you are a one person operation. As long as you can get yourself into one of the game sub category top 100 lists with a couple games, you can make a living. But, it's very true that only 5% of the apps on the store are making enough money to live off of. The trick is getting into that top 5%.

For people who have never coded before, start with very small projects, and don't expect to sell them on the store. When you think you've learned something, apply it to a real game that you can be proud of. Coding is not easy, and not everyone will be good at it. It's closer to learning to be a doctor, than learning to ride a bike. I have a degree in software, and have been paid to code for over ten years, and my first game took me five months to create, working a few hours each night. It takes a lot of time. So start small, so you don't get discouraged.

8. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    1. Mac Mini
    2. A game like Geometry Wars would be very cool. If you had the graphics of GeoDefense combined with the gameplay of 2019...that would be a great game

9. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#9 lazypeon, Mar 29, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    As others have said, Mac Mini is fine for development. I'd tend to shy away from a game like geometry wars, as there are quite a few games on the store that are somewhat similar (though there are quite a few TD games too :))

Are you already familiar with game development? If you are, great. If not, you may want to start with something easier than Objective-C / iPhone development -- I think Flash would be a great place to get started.

One game that gives me a lot of hope is Zombieville. While it's a great game, it doesn't seem hard to develop from a developer perspective. It's not a game from some big name company, yet it's been on top or near the top of the chart for weeks. The developer (who frequents this forum) has probably made thousands (tens of thousands, I'd guess) on the game.

10. Walker33

Walker33 Well-Known Member

Whole heartedly concur!

11. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    1. Mac Mini or a white Macbook (check ebay)
    2. Would be pretty cool

12. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Did you ever think that you weren't making money because you don't make the best games? Or do you just blame the App Store?

(FYI, I'm not saying you make bad games, never even played one, but it is a possibility that they aren't up to the standard of the consumers.)

13. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

As people said, making it to the top IS hard. But, you could make it there quicker if you made a game that would attract tons of attention. Dont make something boring just because you feel like making a game. Make something that when people will see, they want!

And also, make it $1 unless its a huge game. The less the cost, the more the purchases.