iPhone wwTouch, turn strategy. FIRST PREVIEW

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by FrozenPepper, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrozenPepper

FrozenPepper Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #1 FrozenPepper, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
    Hi all!
    Long time since I've last visited this great community, but we have been working madly on wwTouch (World War Touch) which we are previewing today for first time.

The main idea behind it was to make a strategy board game playable on the iPad by human players, mixing classic games as "Axis and Allies" and "Risk" with the possibilities offered by the iPad.

here are some info's about the game :

- up to 5 players games
    - World War II setting
    - Artificial intelligence will be available at game release for solo play as well as mixed play between 1 or more human players and AI players.
    - at least 3 maps to choose according to expected play time and players number
    - 9 kind of units to build and purchase
    - full map offers 84 land territories to conquer and fight for
    - naval battles and units
    - in-game newspaper updated with current event news for each player
    - play up to 5 games with different opponents, maps and goals, at the same time
    - interface and game-play designed specifically for the iPad
    - 3D graphics
    - more........

This is the first time we post something online about this project, so for now, i've made a fast preview video showing some of the game play and interface, but more screenshots, infos and videos will soon come.

Attached Files:

2. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Holy crap- this game looks awesome. I've been waiting for some kind of game like this and not a cheap Risk clone. Finally some depth in a turn-based military boardgame.

Will the game have online multiplayer (either at release or in a planned patch)? If so, would it work with a 'take your turn whenever the last guy has finished his turn' type play (e.g., almost PBEM, in that we don't have to be online at the same time to play).

Regardless, will definitely be picking this one up! If you have any more updates, put them in this thread!

3. MaxPower

MaxPower Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    wow, this looks sweet.

4. Danillson

Danillson Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    This looks so good! I hope it's a sophisticated turn based startegy game.
    My biggest wish however, is an achievement system with Openfeint! That'd be really awesome!

5. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    #5 FrozenPepper, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    Great thanks for all replies and feedback! We are working hard do deliver the best product we can, and all suggestions and comments are much more than welcomed !

About the game :

Online multiplayer couldn't make into first release, but it surely is one of our biggest priorities for future version. At the moment we are hoping to release a multiplayer update soon after iPad get iOs 4 update (game center), and some kind of achievement implementation will probably come to.

Yes, multiplayer, when implemented will work exactly like that, with player that can keep track of up to 5 online games at the same time (play his turn on 1 game, and immediately after play his turn in another game to.......)

I'll soon post new images and info so stay tuned!

6. Danillson

Nov 11, 2008
    The good thing about Openfeint is that your achievements will be transfered to Apples GameCenter, once it becomes available! As it needs about half a year (end of '10) till GameCenter arrives, having Openfeint would be great!

7. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    We are considering Openfeint to, more news about our plans for network support and achievements will be available at game launch.
    At the moment we are refining the user experience, completing the game manual and fighting with the last bugs so to have game ready for release very soon, multiplayer and achievements are in our roadmap but unfortunately couldn't make it in the first version of the game..

Hope to soon be able to post more material from the game.

8. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    From the video, I noticed this is very similar to Axis & Allies (not a bad thing!)

Are there any gameplay differences from that game, or is it pretty much identical? (map layout, kinds of units and their power, etc) They looked just like A&A from what I remember.

Looking forward to getting this on release!

9. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    #9 FrozenPepper, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
    Rules where thought of inspired by many different board games, but surely the most influential ones where Risk and Axis and Allies. We tried to take the best from them and take advantage of the possibilities offered by the iPad to create a great game experience.
    First thing, territories are assigned randomly (more like risk), but we are planning to have a "scenario" game mode where players can start their game in a "fixed" map.
    We wanted to have random territory assignation at new game start, so to have ,with each new game, a different kind of challenge for the various players.
    Second there is a neutral player that while it wont attack you, his territories are well defended, but can be conquered.
    Units are not the same as in Axis and Allies and rules for movement and attack can be quite different, we have a "Para Plane" which basically is built with 2 infantry units inside, and can be used to conquer far territories left unguarded (or join a big attack, or be used to reinforce distant regions, ............ ).
    No turn phases, do whatever you want during your turn in the order you want.
    Different maps will let whatever number of players have a fast or super long game.
    Different and settable game objectives.
    Turn timer if wanted.
    Much more.....
    But, the main thing compared to other board games is the possibility to save a game and get back to it whenever you want :) ...

10. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Sounds awesome, thanks.

11. Danillson

Nov 11, 2008
  12. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Finally back with some new material !
    We are working on final game polish, AI is getting harder to beat, and game in looking always better.

Here i'm attaching some screenshots from the latest version of wwTouch, more material (video) will come soon, starting with a fast introduction of the "portrait" mode, in which player can read war reports and newspapers which provide many info's about the ongoing conflict; plus player will have access to a full manual for the game in which player can swipe left or right to change page, or use index buttons for fast navigation.

Hope you'll like them and let us know what you think.

Attached Files:

13. 7cal

7cal Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    New screens look sweet. So there is research for air and sea to make your units better? Cool - are there different tracks you can try and research?

Also I noticed a spelling error in the headline of the newspaper: it should be "losing the war" not "loosing the war" :)

14. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks!
    Yes, units will receive bonus modifiers (attack force, defense force, cost) thanks to science. Player can research one technology at the time per each "branch" (land, air, sea). There aare 4 or 5 levels for each branch.

Thanks for the spelling correction, have already corrected it in game.

PLus, here is a fast preview of the "portrait mode" while in game.

15. Jdbausch

Jdbausch Member

Jul 23, 2010
    I joined this forum just to ask

When!?!?! We need an ETA!

This looks so fantastic. I can't wait! Stuff like this is why I got the iPad!

16. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I eagerly await seeing this on the new releases page.

17. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks !!!

Polishing for first version of game is finished, and we are hoping to submit the game to apple for review on sunday night (one last week end of work on the AI is needed...). Then we will provide updates which will enhance the game on the AI side, and add more info and depth to the game in general, more maps, etc.

But version 1.0 is really VERY CLOSE to be released!

18. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Appealing, just a comment about the first video, it seems the camera angle changes automatically with the zoom level.

Well I'm not sure it's very useful, at least one option to allow a fixed angle would be cool.

19. Danillson

Nov 11, 2008
    It seems like Openfeint won't be available in 1.0. Will there be an update that adds Achievements?

20. FrozenPepper

Feb 4, 2009
    Very happy to say that we finally submitted wwTouch - World War Touch to apple for review.
    Some final, nasty bugs required more work than we had expected, but we finally solved them , so now the first version of the game is ready !

Will soon post more info.

We will now take some time to test various forms of network support, openFeint and GameCenter included. We can't say much now, but as soon as decisions will be made, we will give some info

Much has improved since first video (new one has to come...), camera movement and angle are better,but the behaviour (angle change) is the same, we adopted this method to be able to display more info on the map without making icons super small, and actually think that it integrates quite well with this kind of game.
    BUT, we are more than open to any kind of suggestion, so we will start experimenting with a fixed angle option, and if it fits, and it's requested, we might insert it in the next update.