Game Jam Live Coding: Hell flick! Demon punt! Or something else, um, hellish!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mklaurence, Jan 29, 2011.

1. mklaurence

mklaurence Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    Chicago, IL
    This weekend is the global game jam, and though we're not participating officially, we Punkbot'rs have decided to get together and make a game. In, like, a day. It might need some polishing afterwards, but it'll be fun to do anyway!

We'd love your suggestions/input/encouragement as we hack it up!

Our basic idea is:
    - You're lording over Hell (or perhaps purgatory)
    - There are lost souls milling about on the bottom of the screen
    - You need to toss (flick) these lost souls into various traps before they find their way to heaven
    - Some souls have to go to certain traps (perhaps corresponding to the seven deadly sins?)
    - There are angels floating around that will take the souls to heaven

Also, question: does anyone know of any similar games in the app store? It's always good to play them and see what works and what doesn't.

Updates to follow!

2. BrokenKings

BrokenKings Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    Good luck guys :) We're at a Game Jam in Canada right now, about halfway through which is cool because I think we're past halfway through the game. Our pixel artist is just sleeping now after having been working non-stop since start, but I think everything is done artwise anyways, so...

Like the game idea, hope you guys are able to pull it off! Make sure to have food ready at hand, it's one of the most unexpected time consuming distractions!

3. mklaurence

Jun 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    Chicago, IL
    Awesome! I saw your thread about a new game every weekend... that's quite a goal :)

Hope the hacking is going well up north!

4. mklaurence

Jun 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    Chicago, IL
    Game mechanics are more or less on their way... but that's not exciting to talk about. Artwork is, though! Hooray for hell!

[​IMG]

5. HoratioLint

HoratioLint New Member

Jan 29, 2011
    More art fun - I'm currently working on our walk cycles and this is a glimpse of two of our lost souls. Each soul represents one of the seven deadly sins - can you guess which ones these are?
    [​IMG]

6. mklaurence

Jun 28, 2009
    Game Developer
    Chicago, IL
    Well, we've had a few too many beers to continue, but it's been a fun day nevertheless... all we need are to add some heads to the bodies and some scoring and we'd have an actual "1 day game" :) We'll settle for a "1.5 day game", I think...

Thanks to anyone who was interested, hopefully we'll polish the game up and have it in the store in a week or so!

[​IMG]

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Artwork looks pretty nice. :)