Is my app icon any good?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rikschennink, Apr 23, 2012.

1. rikschennink

rikschennink Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    #1 rikschennink, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    I would like to get some opinions on the icon I have been using for my game Eve of Impact. Lately I've been wondering if it fits the game, tells te story, has to much detail, could be better, etc. etc., I welcome any input. Also is it a problem to change your icon when the game is in the store already?

This might turn into an insight in the icon design process :)

Updated version added on page 2: quicklink http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2248952&postcount=17

And another update on page 3: quick link http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=2252256#post2252256

The orginal icons:

[​IMG]

retina
    [​IMG]

itunes
    [​IMG]

2. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

You can change the icon without problem!

3. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Your game looks very good but I think you should change your icon. It's hard to tell what's the game is about, specially with the small icon size...

4. DekoDev

DekoDev Member

Apr 23, 2012
    i think it would work if you could better differentiate land and sea in the small one, making it more readily apparent what it is. right now to me, at a quick glance, it looks like the eye of sauron hovering over textured metal.

5. LairdGames

LairdGames Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2012
    #5 LairdGames, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    Hi guys.

I will have to agree with PixelVision. It is really hard to see what the game is about just by looking at your app icons. My understanding of app icon design (I could be wrong) it cannot be too cluttered. Unless you see the large iTunes image, the small icon will not do.

Again take my advice with a grain of salt.

Mo
    LairdGames

EDIT: The game looks sublime!!!

6. digitalfrogmkt

digitalfrogmkt Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Game developer
    Seoul, South Korea
    I know nothing about your game, but i don't clearly get what is your icon describing.
    Maybe you should make it more simple or cooler

7. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    No.

It is too hard to tell what it is (a large explosion on a planet), which means it doesn't do a good job of telling people anything about your game.

I'd suggest having the curvature of the planet visible, depicting either most or all of the sphere. Like the example below but with a bigger explosion

[​IMG]

8. LairdGames

LairdGames Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2012
    @PixelEnvision:

Sorry for calling you PixelVision earlier! I just realize that you are the same developer that is on he the Corona dev forum. Hello! I am Mo from the same forum (LairdGames) I just started here and I already like it! A lot of stuff to learn about!

take care.

Mo

9. rikschennink

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    The overall consensus seems to be that it's not descriptive enough of the gameplay. @PikPok thanks for the visual, I was thinking in that direction as well :)

10. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    Not going to go into a lecture on the success of app icons with a distinct curvature (especially when rotund, flightless birds and other animals are involved), but I will second PikPok.

Maybe center a spherical earth with an explosion coming off to the side. Should tell the whole story right there.

11. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Np ;)

Yeah, that's me... Nice to see you here too...

12. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    @rikschennink,

PikPok's sample is very good. Just an idea but also looking at promo images of movies like deep impact, etc. might also help you...

13. ultrapped

ultrapped Active Member

Nov 5, 2011
    At first glance, I did not realize what its about with roughly 2 colors, blue and orange.
    When looking at the large pic, although i found its a planet but does not attract me to play the game. Maybe because it looks like some national geographic things LOL

14. rikschennink

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    Good plan! Thanks :D

15. DekoDev

DekoDev Member

Apr 23, 2012
  16. rikschennink

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    Yea, I'm going in that direction, the challenge is to make it look good at 57x57 pixels, 512 is no problem ;-)

17. rikschennink

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    #17 rikschennink, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
    v2 in progress

In progress new 512 version, want to make sure this is better before i start making the smaller ones.. any thoughts?

[​IMG]

18. Despite what someone else said, it is NOT easy to change your icon once your app is in the store, so spend some time to make sure you get it right.

You need to submit a new binary with the new icon. At that time, you can change the app store icon too.

This was not always the case. Previously, you could change your icon in the app store any time you wanted with no approval, but Apple changed this policy well over a year ago.

Apple also requires that the icons be substantially similar or your app could be rejected.

19. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    First off I am not a dev. 2ndly, This is better than the other one, but I think the explosion looks a little cheezy. Sorry, it may just be me, but that's what I think. If this turns out to be your icon, it will be better than most other icons!

20. lumimae

lumimae Member

May 4, 2012
    Freelancer illustrator/designer
    São Paulo - Brazil
    This version is way more beautiful! : D
    I'd try more bright/saturated colors because it seem a little too dark and may be too discrete among other icons.

Also, I think you don't need to show the whole planet to make it understandable, try zooming it a little more to focus the explosion.

[​IMG]

but they're only suggestions, I think it's pretty cool the original way too