Pining for a Turn Based 4X

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spblat, Jan 26, 2011.

1. spblat

spblat Active Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I used to play Spaceward Ho endlessly but I can't find anything on iOS to scratch that itch. DemoCrytus seemed promising but it seems to have died on the vine. Empire of the Eclipse (due in March) will be interesting but apparently won't include a single player campaign. I've played Rogue Planet, The Settlers, Space Miner, Wesnoth and others but none of them seem to capture that classic turn-based 4X mechanic.

Any suggestions? TIA!

2. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Didn't Ascendancy just come out?

Also, off topic but something I've always wondered about - anyone know why the genre is named "4X" and not "4E"? I mean, all of the words start with the letters "EX..." but the genre is named for the second letter in each word and not the first.

Anyway - good topic.

3. spblat

spblat Active Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Holy cow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOXxR5FiWYc

Eight bucks is a little steep but this definitely looks like one to watch. Thanks!

4. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Ah! I should have known Wikipedia would have held my answer. Thanks...

5. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Civilization Revolution?

6. spblat

spblat Active Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Love love love it on my PS3. For some reason the lite version of the iOS port left me cold.

7. Beric

Beric Member

Sep 9, 2010
    They were supposed to be porting Spaceward Ho to the iPhone, but looks like the project changed developers. I'm still hoping it'll happen, though. Here's some stuff I dug up on the internet...

[​IMG]

http://deltatao.com/deltajoe/?p=432

supposed developers site

My email to the developers and their response: