I don't get it? What's with ngmoco's Plus+ strategy?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ravenvii, Oct 17, 2009.

1. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I don't get it, with certain games, like Topple 2 and Dr. Awesome, ngmoco has two versions on the iTunes store - the normal version and the Plus+ version. I have Dr. Awesome (the non-Plus+ version) that I bought a long time ago. But now I see Dr. Awesome is $0.99, while Dr. Awesome Plus+ is free.

How come mgmoco didn't simply update the $0.99 version to include Plus+, instead of putting up a separate Plus+ app for free?

Actually, I seem to remember that it *was* updated to include Plus+, but it was removed sometime recently for some reason? Or am I hallucinating?

I don't get it?

2. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    They're all going to be updated to include Plus+ eventually. Aside from that, I agree with you, this decision to release separate apps is bad.

3. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    They give the apps with Plus away for free.

People like free, people signup for Plus.

Plus users grow nicely

ngmoco can then monetize that userbase in some way.

Don't forget - there is some opposition (OF) so the more people saying they want Plus means more devs integrating with Plus. You just need enough users asking - so you give the game away for free. If you see it as a loss leader it makes sense.

4. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I get the concept, but why not just update, say, Dr. Awesome to include Plus+ and make it free, and leave it at that? Why even release a separate app and leave the non-Plus+ app at $0.99? I feel gypped.