Interview with ChuChu Rocket's devs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by squarezero, Nov 17, 2010.

1. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Slide to play just ran an interview with ChuChu Rocket on iPhone devs Binary Hammer. The whole interview is interesting, but my eyebrows were raised by this particular exchange.

Shenmue?!? Jet Grind Radio?!? Am I the only one who has his fingers crossed?

2. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    Coincidentally I was looking at the Jet Set Radio wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Set_Radio) and saw this:

"As of March 2009, Sega has recently renewed the Jet Set Radio/Grind Radio and ChuChu Rocket trademarks in the U.S. Speculation has lead to believe that both are soon to be rereleased on Xbox Live and/or PSN."

That wouldn't be odd if Chu Chu wasn't just released on iOS.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The plot thickens...

4. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    And to add:

http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/26/jet-grind-radio-coming-to-well-at-least-xbla-in-2010/

"At that time, a trademark filing revived the Jet Grind Radio trademark to include games for "mobile phones" as well as "downloadable game programs" which had given us some hope for an iPhone port. Of course, SEGA's sub-par iPhone gaming releases since that time have left us far less hopeful that we'll see a proper Jet Grind Radio game in the App Store."

But with Sonic 4 and Chu Chu both being decent ports...

We will see this in the future.

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Bet I'm not the only one facepalming at the very prospect.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Facepalm away, my friend. Jet Grind Radio has already been talked about as a pretty natural port for the platform. As to Shenmue -- well, I'd love to see someone try to make it work.

7. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    This is what makes me slightly happier...

"What updates are coming in the future for ChuChu Rocket?

Bob: We have already submitted an update that includes many bug fixes and enhancements as well as including 100 extra levels. Other features that are in progress for future updates include proper online multiplayer through Game Center, support for Retina display, and of course lots more levels."

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Oh yeah, just because JSR features a few gestures automatically means it'd be perfect. On the 3DS perhaps.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Nothing automatic about it. If it's done well, it could work. If it's done poorly it will suck. By the way, that would be true on the 3DS as well.

Are you in a bad mood, Midian? You don't usually come across like a jerk.

10. eyemh8

eyemh8 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    To stay stupid
    Estes Park co.
    Seaman is Awsome and belongs in iOS

11. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Ooooh... this thread is full of potential win.

JSR on iOS would make me very, very happy. I would pay $20 for a proper updated port/remake done right. And I am usually very cheap. I love my 99cent apps, but I paid $5 for Chu Chu Rocket on release day.

12. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Shenmue seems unlikely for the sheer scope of the game/s. Axe the terrible spoken dialogue for text maybe... and just a port of the original wouldn't do it for me. The game hasn't aged well in many respects (remember the forklift?).

JSRF, on the other hand, could be slick if done right. It's quite possibly already underway, but I'm not holding my breath for quality. I hope I'm wrong.

13. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Jet Grind Radio being a natural fit for the platform? :confused: I could see the colors and music being a good fit, but controls-wise, I don't know... I know we're long past the age of "you can't have precise controls on a touch screen", but Jet Grind Radio is one of those games that I think will keep that argument alive. That game requires so much precision, especially in the later levels... it would be a miracle if they pulled it off completely D: In my opinion, of course. Then again, that's what we were all saying (okay, a lot of us, not all) about bullet hell games before Cave blew the doors on that one with Espgaluda II, so maybe SEGA will do the same with Jet Grind Radio. I just hope that, if they do bring a Jet ____ Radio game to iDevices, it's not in the vein of the GBA game. Though that was fun, I just think we're now way past the isometric viewpoint in iDevice land.

I suppose Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is a good indicator of precision done right on the iDevice, but still. I do worry about Jet Grind Radio :p

P.S. Watch, in a couple years, after Jet Grind Radio comes out (if it does, that is), I'm going to look back on this post and be like "Wow, I was so naive. SEGA changed everything with Jet GriPhone. How silly of me to think they'd do anything less :eek:." Wouldn't put it past me :cool:

Shenmue is the one title mentioned that threw me way off-guard. That would be quite intriguing, to say the least. Especially intriguing if they make an iDevice-only Shenmue game that will explain the events that occur after Shenmue II. We've been waiting far too long, with no signs of that wait getting any shorter :(