The Truth Behind "Glu" Games ?!?!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rivozzz, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    well...im have never been intersted in those free games with hidden IAP purchases and always escaped from them miles away as i see there shadow !! i love to pay and get a full game and thats it...no hidden fees...

anyway i got by accident and downloaded "contact killer" and " Gangsta" by "Glu company"... and i liked so much their appeal and mechanics !!

so i want to know to which category these games belong so i know if i play them or not because i dont want to get involved in those games and then find myslef between those IAP

are they....?

1-like shadow era....were you can play the full game with no restriction..but only u pay to get advanced easy and avoid for example long grinding to get better items in the game that u can get it anyway but it will take a long time

or

2- there is a one time fee...which i can buy inside the game ..like for example sacred odyssey were i pay 6.99$ inside the free game..and thats it..

or ..and what im afraid of

3-the game is unplayable or very restricted or u cant progress or have full access unless u keep paying and paying continual IAP not evena single time so that u play the game....

2. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    I'm pretty sure in Contract Killer you need to buy some form of currency to buy certain weapons, but there are a lot of weapons you can buy with in game money you earn by playing.

3. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    Then u say its like number one ( shadow era style) or number 3

4. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    The problem is that the games aren't fun enough to buy the excessive IAPs for.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    They're all crap. Even their paid apps are worthless. Glu is no doubt my least favorite developer on the iOS.

6. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Since Glu released Toyshop Adventures and you needed to buy expendable crystals I think it was to progress in the game I have been cautious of their releases. (OP -- your #3 in your choices)

I don't mind paying a little more for a game to get the full game. I know everyone says "you don't need them" - but you kind of do if you want the entire experience. It seems they are really liking this model since most of their recent games have been released like this.

As for me I am staying away from any "free" Glu game at the moment.

7. EMTKiNG

EMTKiNG Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    EMT
    Los Angeles,CA
    Hey hey they have some good ones like glyder,glyder2,beat itand a couple others. I do hate though that they are now just doing freemium games. They should fix the broken good ones that they have first.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Glyder and Glyder 2 were pulled because they didn't want to update the game with bug fixes. Beat it was also pulled. They're trying to make profit in all the wrong ways in every game they've released in the past year. Lord of the Rings TD started off as a great game. Then, they decided to ramp up the difficulty to an insane level and add an iAP called 'second chance' which acts as a revive once you lose a level since they're impossible to beat without the purchase. Their other games are completely worthless.

9. Rivozzz

Oct 6, 2009
    that very stupid pf them.....contract killer and gangster had very big potential..but i found out that i have to buy credits to continue the game !!!

10. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Glu games are crap.

When I see a game is by Glu, I just ignore it and don't bother downloading it anymore, even just to try. Always the same thing with them - some decent graphics to pull you in, flawed/uninspired gameplay and TONS of IAP garbage.

As a company, Glu has made themselves invisible to me since they went down that cynical money-grubbing road. My money mostly goes to indie devs who love what they're doing, and big companies when they just sell me a good game straight up, with no IAP schemes.

11. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    To be fair to Glu, their JumpOClock is a rather nice Jumping game.

12. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    You know something's wrong when they're selling IAP weapons for $70 but they CBF to fix major bugs that people have been reporting for months.

13. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Their only good game (and quite successful) is Transformer G1. Almost everything after Build a Lot 2 had some form of IAP in them.

14. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Not bothering with their games at all.