Apparently Anonymous Hacked US Dept. of Justice's Website

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by JBRUU, Jan 26, 2013.

1. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Over the Reddit co-founder suicide and other "digital freedom" stuff. They're threatening to release all kinds of "embarrassing" documents if their demands aren't met, so this could be interesting.

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm going to put this as politely as I can: Anonymous are idiots.

3. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    They hacked westboro baptist church so they are great in my opinion

4. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    If that's all it takes to get into your good books then I'll stop the murder of a minority on my way to strangle a child.

5. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    What child did Anon strangle?

6. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    Look at the wiki and look at the good they actually did http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

Sorry but going against that...well sorry but that's a lost one. Anonymous is a great group

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Very well. Then I shall state my case more clearly.

1. They aren't a group, a physicist would probably describe their formation as chaos.

2. You have no idea who's behind any of the attacks. Do you really want your country's secrets in the hands of some greasy 15 year-old kid? Should it be his decision whether or not they go public?

3. Vigilantism is dangerous, full stop. Look at how much misinformation is spread as news breaks these days.

4. They want DDoS made a legal form of protest. There are so many reasons this is stupid I won't even bother to list them.

5. Related to 4, they block access to services regular people like you and I want and need. We get no say in what they do, yet they claim to be acting on our behalf.

6. They think being a part of "la revolución" somehow means they're always correct and every action they take is justified. Nobody is above the law. If you don't like them you can try to have them repealed or reformed, merely breaking them leads to nothing but a breakdown in society and only enforces the need for laws in the first place.

7. They originated on 4chan. The virtual home of master trolls, perverts and pedos alike.

Note that in most cases I'm referring only to the people participating in hacking. Holding a legal protest in the street and wearing a Guy Fawkes mask is acceptable.

8. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    So you think you know what's acceptable we'll geez maybe that should be your title on here. Also where are your facts to all that?

9. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Was this the group that hacked Sony and caused so many PSN problems?

10. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    #10 bramblett05, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    Wasn't on wiki and didn't see it on yahoo.
    Also something of theirs wasn't up to date so that falls onto sony's fault

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #11 MidianGTX, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
    I would have thought most of the facts were obvious to anyone who keeps up to date on current events and has at least a passing knowledge of what it all means. What do you need clarified?

And yeah, they took the blame for Sony. That said, Anonymous isn't an organization, so it could easily be two, three or a hundred sets of completely unconnected people all acting under one banner. So they probably don't even share the same views or morals... one member of Anonymous is free to attack a buisness or institution that another member of Anonymous supports, which, if you apply logic to the situation, means that every single business and institution under the sun is at risk. It boils down to individuals attacking anything they don't like while giving the false impression they're acting under a majority belief. Unreliable and nonsensical.

Edit: Actually, I was wrong about Sony, it was Lulzsec who took the blame for that one. I almost forgot they'd ever existed. They were idiots too. Anon claimed to hack Sony again last year but it turned out to be a lie.

12. bramblett05

Aug 29, 2012
    A site said they stated they did it and others people said they didn't

13. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Watch what you say, they could hack TA... :(

lol

(and no, that was not an intentional rhyme)

14. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hacking a government website is pretty serious stuff. I tend to side with Midian here.

15. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    My opinion is Anonymous isn't so much a group as an umbrella or mask to hide behind I'd say probably less than 1% of the people who believe themselves members are capable of anything like this and they are really just using the others and the name as cover.

Anonymous have also done some not very noble things like the time they hacked epileptic boards to insert flashing images, I think the problem is they can be different members day by day and about half of them like to think they are political the other half just want lulz.

I also don't think Gov sites being hacked is really a big deal I'd be willing to bet this happens almost weekly but anonymous gives the media something to spin the story with.

16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    The US has just announced that cyber war on them has officially begun. Oh sure, Anon can attack others just fine, but once they pick on you suddenly it's serious!

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #17 Vovin, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

They wan't revenge for that Reddit co-founder, who committed suicide, afaik.
    Don't think it's a good idea to mess with the US gov anyway. FBI is already informed and investigating.