iTunes Mobile Applications folder too big

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Crypton, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Hi all!

I'm searching for a way to move my Mobile Applications Folder on Windoze XP.
    I already have iTunes set to use another drive, but the Mobile Applications folder stays in C:\Documents and Settings\<my username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\Mobile Applications....

I'm currently ~ 8GB and rising... <Hands up who's addicted!> and didn't want to manually move apps from there to another drive.

Any way to set an envionment variable that windows searches for My Music in another location?
    I think it is possible to move the hole My Documents folder, but I didn't want to do that, unless I have to.

2. EnDrX

EnDrX New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I. First, Sorry for my english.

I'v see your post when i recherch a solution. now i'v it!!

The must you have to do is to make right clic on "my document" or on "iTunes" and atfter, "propreties"/move or "déplacer"(francé) and to finish choose target folder!!!

Its works!!!!

See u

3. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Actually, I've tried that solution and it doesn't work for me.

What I find is that after I do that, under the applications tab on itunes when browsing my ipod, all of the applications are greyed out on the list to the left and blacked out on the right in the page views, so I can't add or remove anything from my ipod.

Wtf? Is there really no other way than to bog my computer down with every single app I have rather than allowing another drive to access them?

Someone please help, this is a major issue for me!

4. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
  5. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #5 medianotzu, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    Edit: Aw, you know what, it did work! Wow, what a relief!

It didn't work the first time because I had a duplicate .itl file and I tried to use the wrong one . . .silly silly me. Anyway, you are the greatest my friend! I owe you a real debt of gratitude!

6. dejudicibus

dejudicibus New Member

Apr 8, 2012
    A way to move the whole iTunes folder elsewhere

I had a similar problem. iTunes folder was too big because of apps and it was on C disk, that is, where Windows was installed. I wished to move the whole iTunes folder to D disk. So I used the procedure described on my blog based on directory symbolic links. It is only for advanced users and I take no responsibility for damages. You must understand what you are doing!
    :cool:

7. johnmcrin

johnmcrin New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Is the there a way to force iTunes to store my mobile applications on my external drive automatically?I have my library set to an external and all my music, movies, etc goes onto the proper location except the mobile applications. I know I can use the consolidate library command, which will move the apps to the external. But as soon as I d/l another app iTunes begins saving them to the default folder again.

8. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Every once and a while I copy all new files to a 'backup' folder - then delete willy-nilly from iTunes any app not installed on my phone.

iTunes runs a lot better when there are fewer files in your library (i.e. things are a little pokey when there's 3 or 4,000 ipa files in there. :eek:) Checking for app updates goes a lot faster too.