The value of Free

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by strawdog, Sep 2, 2009.

?

Is your favourite game free or paid for?

1. My fav game was/is free

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  2. The game I love most was paid for.

57 vote(s)
    93.4%
  1. strawdog

strawdog Well-Known Member

There is a lot of discussion in the games industry about free to play games, alternative business models etc etc. I have been giving some thought to the issue of price and how it impacts on perceived value and I just wanted to ask a question of those of you who have played a free game at some time (either online, iPhone or any other format - but excluding free demos/Lite versions)

Is your favourite game (or even your top 5) out of all the games you have played paid or free?

Basically I am just wondering how we value free versus paid for. Lots of people claim that "people don't want to pay" (especially kids) and yet my favourite games are the ones I have paid for. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

2. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    I am not completely sure whether you are talking about the whole gaming industry or just iPhone games.

Out of the iPhone games my top favorites are the ones that I paid for but there are a couple of free games that came quite close to the top (TTR, jelly car)

3. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    There will always be more advantage for both the gamer & the dev to have a paid game with unlimited released content than a free game with step by step content buying (or with poor quality).

Free prices are no good, really.

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Common now, sure there are a few free apps that are ok, but paid apps are way better 99% of the time.

5. minga

minga Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    #5 minga, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    there are hardly any good free games. my only free games are TapDefence, JumpTheCat and Lemonade Tycoon.

6. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Only a Quest of Knights Onrush is free on my iPhone. Most of the free apps I had just end up being deleted. With that being said paid apps are better 99% of the time

7. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Most of my favorites are originally priced at 2.99 and above.

Free games are not as cherished. Mostly I just play them, rate them if I think it's good and then move on.

There are two free games that I will keep forever, the Game&Watch Helmet (which has been pulled from the appstore) and iNethack.

8. shawn_10

shawn_10 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    +1 same here

9. XciteMe83

XciteMe83 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    It's a little stupid to delete an app off your iPhone just because it's free. Trace, Jelly Car and Tap Defense are some of the best games in their respective categories, most sane gamers will tell you that.

Free =/= crappy. Just like paid =/= quality.

10. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Strongly agree with that statement

11. samoreg

samoreg Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Only free game I have kept is Quest for Knights Onrush.

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Glaruung chess, the rush hour lite versions (which have a lot of puzzles) and scramble (which the wife and I played competitively once) are the only ones that I have really liked.

I'm not biased against free, its just that high production values are relevant to me. For example, maybe I shouldnt like Minigore...but I do.

13. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    One of my top 10 is Jelly Car, which is free, but I'm not sure if it's in my top 5 anymore. ;)

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm going with this, and adding rRootage to that list.