Needing a studying/gaming device: iPad 2 or iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by LOLavi, Aug 13, 2013.

1. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I started high school today and I want to get an iPad to take notes, use keynotes, pages and whatnot. Now I can't buy iPad 4. Well I can afford it, but I do not want to use 470€ on it, I have other expenses as well. So now I have a choice between the iPad mini and the iPad 2. Which should I go for? It'd be awesome if you could throw a whole list of pros and cons for both devices, but I guess a short answer will do as well. Also take into consideration that I do wanna use it as a gaming device from time to time(mostly play on my Xbox though). I'd play games like the Modern Combat series on it. Which device lags more when playin it? I have an iPod 4G so I'm used to dealing with lag so I don't need to get the newest iPad 4, but from those two, which is faster and more suitable for studying?

2. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    They're almost the same machine.
    Look up the specs and you'll see how similar they are. There is a theory that the mini may be supported longer for gaming. Unless iOS 7 introduces the ability to exclude devices from downloading on different grounds than the current iOS I'm not sure how the mini would be supported longer.
    I'm sure alot of people will suggest the mini for gaming.
    I'd suggest the 2 for business and school given the extra screen size. I use a 2 for work and it's pretty handy.
    I think it'll come down to preference. Portability or extra screen size?
    That's pretty much the question your asking. Go with whatever appeals more to you.

3. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    They're basically the same. I love the Mini though. The full sized iPads seem too big now that I've used the Mini. As the person above said, it all comes down to bigger screen or more portability. I'd go with the Mini though. The size is better for gaming (imo), and its easier to if in your backpack / carry around (although a full sized iPad isn't hard at all to carry around or put in a backpack). But it really all comes down to preference.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'd go with the iPad 2. You know those crappy keyboards and computer mice you can get? They "work", but they're more novelty than function? That's what the iPad Mini is. Other than a negligible amount of extra portability, it's mostly negatives. If you're buying it for studying you'll be using the keyboard a lot and probably visiting websites that aren't really catered for mobile devices, which means finicky little buttons and links that'll probably make you grateful for the extra screen space.

5. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I use my ipad2 everyday for work/study and occasionally some gaming. I prefer it to laptops as its doesnt add to much weight to the mountain of books I have to lug around. Obviously it's showing its age in terms of some of the more powerful titles but in terms of study it's great.

I use a stylus to annotate over PDFs,Paper for exam revision and Evernote for lectures. I don't use an external keyboard but I understand why people don't like using the on screen keyboard. Personally I just put the time in using the on screen keyboard and now I'm used to it so it works fine.

6. For typing ipad 2 is much better cause it can be used by two hands fairly easily. Probably the most important factor for notes.

For stylus ditto.

For portability ipad mini.

For gaming, maybe ipad mini cause the screen looks better cause it is smaller with the same resolution.

7. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I'd go iPad mini. The device is newer so apple have to support it longer.
    Slightly off topic , are the apple work apps (keynote , pages ) any good?

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I thoroughly disagree -- in fact, I'd venture to say that you don't know what you are talking about. I do a ton of copywriting on my iPad Mini, using the Logitech keyboard cover. Took me all of an hour to get used to the size and feel of it, and by now I type as fast and accurately as I did on my iPad 2 with the same keyboard.

More to the point, anyone who thinks than the weight difference is a "negligible" advantage has simply not carried an iPad Mini around -- or used it as a reading device, where it totally demolishes the iPad 2.

Unless there is a specific reason why you want a 10 inch screen, I would say go with the Mini. As far as I'm concerned, there simply is no comparison.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Haven't used Keynote on my iPad, but on my Mac it's way better than PowerPoint. I use Pages daily on my Mini, and it's a decent text editor, but on iOS it's not a full-fledged Word replacement (especially when it comes to formatting documents).

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Lies. My post was correct. Get muscles.

11. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    I've an iPad 4 and Nexus 7 which is a comparable size of the mini. For reference finding and easier tote its a recommended size just like the mini and it would be very comfortable to hold for extended periods of time and no problems typing with this size of screen. Many sites are optimized for smaller screens and surfing the web has never really been challenging. There is no hindrance from using a smaller screen in fact I'd much rather read off a smaller screen than holding a bigger 10 inch size.
    I know the Nexus 7 isn't the mini and only using it as a reference but I believe the mini would suit your needs perfectly as I use the N7 more for work and reference finding than any of my other devices reasoning as mentioned above.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I do arm curls with 40 lbs dumbbells -- a fact that I mention only to make you sound like an idiot ;).

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The mini. The pixel density is better, it's just as fast, and I hear it's a lot of fun to use. Plus some extra portability doesn't help. The screen size tradeoff is rather negligible if you're not going to be watching a lot of movies or working with pictures.

14. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    I find the portability not an issue with the ipad2 in regards to study as it the same size as most textbooks. Its a comfortable thing to carry with a bunch of books and folders.

Have to agree with the others about the mini looking better for games tho :)

15. squabs

squabs Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Wait. Ipad mini 2nd gen out October, retina display, prob similar specs to iPhone 5 eg: A6 CPU 1GB RAM

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I can't afford/don't wanna pay that much.

I got a lot of good answers, but I still don't know which to go for since they were so divided the answers. So can someone answer these questions:

1. Does either of them support Smart Cover?
    2. Which is better to type with?
    3. Which is better to do all those keynotes and whatnot with(I have long mathematics, which is pretty hard for a course. 9 courses and way harder than short mathematics)?
    4. And which is better for gaming, this is the smallest of the criterias.

17. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    None of the above. Get an iPad 3 at the very least. I have both the iPad mini and the iPad 3, and I have to say, I can't stand doing anything on the iPad mini.
    Edit: Why do you need an iPad at high school? You should have books for that. Unless your high school is completely different to mine, I don't see why you'd need an iPad at school.

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    IPad 2 if you're going to do study, but be careful as Apple seem to have limited some features from iOS7 to the mini even though they're similarly spec'd (if that's important to you).

19. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I have an ipad 2 and ipad 4 (one for the wife). The ipad 2 is really nice. If you can get a good price on one I would buy it. Also get a really lite cover like the Smart Cover.

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    A word to the wise: It's safest just to assume everything JBRUU says is false, rather than actually trying to get to the bottom of whether or not he has a clue what he's talking about.

Real muscles, not those marshmallows.