Most Underserved Genre

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kris Jones, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Hello there,

My name is Kris Jones and I am the founder and executive producer of Pocket Monkey Games.

We are curious to what the general consensus is on the most under served genre of games. Everyone knows that Match-3 is WAY overused, but what is underused?

Once we get enough answers, I will create a poll. This is useful to us, other developers, and to you as gamers as we can better serve your interests.

Thanks!

2. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    2D sidescroller. ;)

3. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Hello, Kris Jones

I am Kamazar, senior member of Touch Arcade. I believe platformers are among the the most underserved genres. I do ever so hope this is useful to you and that you continue catering to our interests.

Kindest Regards,
    -K

4. frogtorch

frogtorch Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I agree on platformers.

Also, pro wrestling games. A 2D MMA game would be awesome.

5. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Real Time Strategy. While a lot of people have tried and failed, no one has done it right yet. If you want to see an example of amazing RTS check out Machines At War. Someone should do something like that. Also first person shooters haven't been done right yet.

6. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    A good RPG. Apart from Zenonia, RPGs are are in short supply, well, GOOD RPGs.

7. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Great stuff.

Genres:
    RTS (Quantum Collapse, Warfare Inc)
    FPS (Wolfenstein)
    Side-Scroller (Sparta, Zombieville)
    Platformer (Bounce On, Castle of Magic)
    RPG (Zenonia)

What else ya got?

8. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    #8 SoCal_Sponger, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
    RPG and RTS games, especially since none of them have online multiplayer. Both are extremely hard genres to make though. For RTS, you have to make multiple races that are all balanced together with plenty of units (think of Starcraft); for RPG, you have to make an intriguing story and a fun (hopefully deep and enjoyable) combat/gameplay system that is full of action.

Maybe a Touchgrind 2 or an actual GTA clone thats fun.

9. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Role Playing Games. The only good one I know of is Zenonia.

10. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #10 wikoogle, Jun 27, 2009
    Here's the top three most neglected genres in order...

1. Politics simulation games. Something like Power Politics or The Political Machine and what not. Your goal is to please the people, get more political capital, get your core agenda passed, and win reelection and such.

2. Multiplayer Business Simulation games.No, not games like lemonade tycoon. I mean games like Zapitalism. Games that involve the stock market, taking out advertising, buying treasury bonds, bidding on building permits and expanding your business by selling different products, constructing bigger stores, and all done in a fun light hearted way like Zapitalism did.

3. RTS games. The only top notch one is Warfare Inc. And it uses very poor graphics from cellphones back in 2000. Quantum Collapse isn't much better either. We could use a high quality polished graphically astounding RTS game.

11. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    A good RPG game. Zenonia's the closest anyone's come so far in this department, but there's still lots of room for improvement.

12. wikoogle

wikoogle Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #12 wikoogle, Jun 27, 2009
    I don't get it. Why are there soooo many TD games on the iphone, but not much else in terms of strategy games.

Clearly the TD games are selling, that should tell people there's an interest in strategy games.

But why jump into TD, a genre that is horribly overpopulated on the iPhone, make your TD game for the DS or something (there literally isn't a single TD game on the DS!!!)

Make some innovative games on the iPhone, something like Elite Beat Agents and such. There is a lot of other directions for strategy games to go

Games like Scribblenauts (quite possibly the greatest game ever made, and that's NOT an exatteration), Civilization Revolutions, Power Politics III, Zapitalism (A FANTASTIC business simulation game), The Political Machine, and Capitalism and to emphasize again, Zapitalism.

Zapitalism for one would be absolutely perfect on the iPhone esp if it includes online multiplayer.

The number of ways that strategy games can go is nearly endless. You can make a business simulation, a politics simulation, a space simulation, a world conquest simulation, a game where you play as the illuminati to create a one world government, toppling countries, starting wars, bribing politicians, fixing elections, manipulating the media, you can make it fun, you can make it serious or light hearted and campy, the possibilities are ENDLESS.

It truly is the one genre of games that hasn't been mined for possibilities nearly as much as the other genres.

And the best part is, the games can be made on a low budget and sold for cheap on PSN, XBL, Wiiware, PSP, DS and iPhone.

Clearly, there is a market for strategy games (considering how many TD games top 100ed so far) of all shapes and sizes. Game developers need to spend less time making huge budget generic action games (Haze, Fracture etc) and start feeding and growing this market more instead.

What are some of your favorite strategy games?

What are some of your ideas for strategy game concepts? Do you like city building sims, world conquest sims, business sims, politics sims, space sims, real time strategy, tower defense, what? Which have you tried?

If you agree with this, spread this post. Post this elsewhere wherever you frequent, I don't care if you copy paste and don't quote me or link to this or anything. Just get this gaming request out there.

Read more about Scribblenauts here...

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16184727

13. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Most underserved genre in iPhone apps or in general?
    In iPhone apps I think it would be RPG. How many quality RPGs are there right now? Maybe at most two or something, when compared to thousands of puzzle/arcade/minigames.

14. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Yes, I mean in iPhone Apps.

I want this to be informative to developers so they stop creating Match-3's and such and create bigger and better games... (at least more unique games.)

15. Mormoop

Mormoop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    Strategy games, definitely. Whether RTS (though "twitch" speed is going to be an issue) or turn-based. Multiplayer is a must. Uniwar is kind of flawed but it has the best multiplayer experience I've seen yet on the platform, and it could be done better. But I don't see why something like Warcraft 2 couldn't work, along with a match-up and ranking system similar to Battle.net

Also, the iPhone is lacking a truly good MMORPG. Something like a simpler Guild Wars where you have a common "town" area and a set of dungeons you have to form parties to conquer.

In general I'd say the single player experience is pretty well served, though there's always room for innovation, but we've barely scratched the surface of multiplayer possibilities.

16. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Yep I agree.
    The iPhone needs a MMORPG like [app]SevenSwords Prologue[/app] which is a beta version thing and it sucks

17. dyepbr

dyepbr Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    thinking outside the box a bit... how about something where the user has more control of what type of game to play... ie map/level editor with triggers.

im remembering what the level editor did for Starcraft...i don't know if the iphone can handle something like that, but that would be awesome.

18. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Well a platformer where you could make your own levels would be cool. Lbp style. It's possible, like look at ouch.

A strategy game in the style of civilization. The iPhone really needs it.

Turn based rpg (jrpg) I enjoy them.

19. larrybeo

larrybeo Active Member

Oct 28, 2008
    More RPGs to chose from than Platformers...

There are games like Vay, Dark Raider, and Chronicles of Inotia, Opal's Quest, Kyle's Quest to fill the RPG void. Nicky Boom, Rick Rocketson, and Sonic are really the only platformers I can think of

20. Gamingfun

Gamingfun Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    It's already been said but RPGs are needed. Turn based, Grid based, action and all the trimmings. There are a few out there but not nearly enough