Are gift codes country restricted?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by defred34, Sep 25, 2012.

1. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    Hi there!

Is it true that gift codes are country restricted? As in if I live in Singapore, someone from the US cannot gift me an app/game? If yes, why isn't this made clear on iTunes when one purchases the gift? I did a quick Google search but failed to find anything substantial on this topic.

Thanks!

2. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    x_X on the other hand I found a reasonable amount of information on it when I got my idevice. Just went to hit up Google and I came across quite a few discussions on different forums about it. It is true though! That you can't gift an app to another account linked to a foreign credit card/appstore. I guess this is because of various difference in pricing/legal issues?

The 1st thing I did when I got my 3gs from Singtel 2 years ago was to obtain an US iTunes account in addition to my Singapore one. Might be annoying to juggle >1 account (I have more or less abandoned my Singapore one) but it is worth it... I heard the sg Appstore doesn't have Bastion? lol

3. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    OMG...I just contacted the Bastion guys yesterday! It is the one (and so far only) game which I've come across that is not in SG store. Apparently, I went to their Facebook page and it isn't in Malaysian stores as well. I cannot imagine what's the issue with the not making it available worldwide. Like I said, every other game basically is readily available.

So how did you register for a US iTunes account? Using a faux-address?

Again, it is weird why Apple doesn't allow to gift apps from different countries.

4. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #4 violentv, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
    Well if Bastion isn't in the appstore I will expect the rest of the Warner Bros. published games to be missing too! Scribblenauts, Lego Harry Potter, Arkham City Lockdown etc.

Edit:removed

Appstore prices are(were?!) different worldwide.I think up to last year..the Singapore appstore prices were really low. The apps were numerically priced the same as in the US appstore but in SGD. It is probably safe to assume that all Appstores are separate/different entities with their own pricing quirks etc.