iPhone Dark Woods, Coming soon to the iPad!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by butterbean21, Nov 26, 2010.

1. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    #1 butterbean21, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
    Enter the realm of Dark Woods, a Magical, Mystical, Sidescrolling Adventure that will keep you on your toes, and mystify you with Gorgeous, Eye Popping Graphics!

You're on a Quest to Rid the land of an Evil Curse placed by Eve, an evil Sorceress.

Magical, and mystical enemies await you in over 5 Breathtaking Worlds as you attempt to restore Peace and Harmony once again!

Coming soon to the iPad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    Impressive !!!

Wow !!! This game looks fantastic ! Excellent graphic work; it looks gorgeous. Just the thing the iPad was made for...

Is this one of yours, Butterbean ? Any timeline for release ? Any idea on price ? This will definitely be on my radar ! :)

3. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    Yes! It is one of our games, and should be slated for release by the end of next week! Pricing should be no more than $2.99 for the game, and we will be posting up some promos when the game releases! :)

4. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    It looks like the control icons shouldnbe moved below the game screen not right over the character!!! This isn't the iphone or ghosts and goblins here is it?

5. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    The price sounds like a bargain ! And the release date isn't too far off, that's great ! AND a chance for some promo codes; how good is that ?

Regarding the above comment, I can see why the controls could be moved, but putting them below the screen would mean making the actual playing area smaller, wouldn't it ? Also, the controls are semi-transparent - which I think might be the ideal compromise. At least the controls aren't completely obscuring the game.

Can't wait for this one !

6. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    The controls are semi-transparent, and having had tested various ones, this one seemed most favored by testers. It may look cumbersome, but once you play it, you won't notice it, and trust me, I've played Ghosts and Goblins, and we feel this control scheme is much better.

If we had moved it below the play area, it would have reduced the amount of space on screen as well.

Thanks Quebecotr! We'll notify you when it's released!

7. JCat

JCat Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    CEO E-Commerce
    NY
    Looking forward - graphic style is stunning!

8. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Oooh - looks very nice.

The second screenie seems to be upside down - can you control gravity?

QS :D

9. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    Thanks Quantumsheep!

Yes, the second screenie involves a level where gravity gets turned upside down. You can't control gravity, but when the screen flips, the enemies die when they are flipped upside down, whereas she lands on her feet upside down, with the controls backwards :)

It's inspired by a level in Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse for the Genesis (Megadrive)

:)

10. Capone

Capone Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Really stunning! :)

11. beefyclyro

beefyclyro Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    This looks absolutely beautiful :)

12. touchtoo2

touchtoo2 New Member

Nov 29, 2010
    woo, it's wonderful idea, how could you do it?

woo, it's wonderful idea, how could you do it?

13. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    Will post a video soon :)

14. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dark-woods/id406229937?mt=8

It has arrived today! Check out this thread, and PM me if you want a code ! They are limited, and the price is $2.99 for the game!

For those of you that received codes, please also take the time to leave an honest review :)

This is a "classic" platformer, so it may not have all the fancy bells and whistles of current platformers, but it's inspired by "Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse"

Enjoy!

15. Derek800

Derek800 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Is there a way to get to the menu while playing a level? Also when does this game save your progress? I played for about five minutes before stoping and when I reopened the game I had to start over.

16. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    @Derek: Yeah, the game is modeled after old school platformers (Castle of Illusion: Mickey Mouse) where you don't have a level select screen, or save option. You play the whole way through, but can retry multiple times.

I had thought about adding a level select and save option, but thought the game would be too easy, as there are 21 levels, and you can get through it if you keep retrying.

I am open to suggestions, and if people really want the option to save, and select levels, when I update with more levels in the future, I may add this.

17. Mr. Mingo

Mr. Mingo Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I wish I would have checked this thread out before I jumped the gun and bought it as soon as I saw it in the app store. Ah well :)

18. butterbean21

Nov 13, 2009
    @Mr. Mingo, thanks for your purchase! If anything, the codes went very fast within the first hour or so, I'll be sure to give you a promo for any games I release in the future to make up for it :)