Buggy App Updates Common?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by EB1089, Jul 21, 2009.

1. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Greetings all. Currently looking into the possibility of getting an iPod Touch for gaming purposes. Something I've noticed in my research on the App Store is most game updates are either buggy "alpha" type releases, don't work, freeze the iPhone/Touch, or completely render the previous version of the app/game unplayable even if an uninstall/reinstall is performed of the previous version. Are buggy, broken updates common?

Another question. For example, version 1.0 of a game works fine. A buggy update version 1.2 comes out that renders 1.0 unplayable or simply doesn't work. Everyone who downloaded 1.0 when it first came out trying to update to 1.2 complain 1.2 doesn't work. However, if 1.2 - the latest version - was the first version you downloaded, would 1.2 work? Or in other words, is it the act of updating from a previous version buggy or is it just the entire version 1.2 itself? Just curious. Thanks.

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #2 Zincous, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
    I don't have that problem. Updates I get are usually improvements.

I know asphalt had an update to controls which made it suck. But otherwise, devs usually make games better in updates.

3. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Updates aren't actually updates. Rather than downloading a few new files you are redownloading the entire game with those changes already in place.

So the problem would be the entire 1.2.

However if you look in your trashcan you can see that the old version is there. So you can drag and drop it into itunes and get a prompt asking if it's ok to replace the game with an older version. Just say yes and you are back to the old version.

4. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    There are some problems with the new 3.0 software with all kinds of problems. I'm pretty sure Apple will release an update pretty soon though.

On 2.2.1 people only had problems now and then, but since the advent of 3.0 being released, I get about twice as many support emails as before.

5. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    well, both ;)

depends what kind of bug that is, but usually it's caused by entire new version

I think that the only way for a bug to occur because of updating is when you use some files stored in HDD in different ways in both versions. in other words - imagine a config file, where you store your data in some format, but decided to change format between version yet file stays the same. if ver 1.2 doesnt check for this scenario, it can try to read config from earlier version that had different structure then it expects and crash

6. EB1089

EB1089 Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Student
    Interesting...thanks for all your responses and knowledge. From your replies, I glean buggy updates is something of a very minor "problem" (if even that). Not gonna stop me from considering/getting a Touch LOL. Thanks all.