Having trouble getting reviews

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jDun1212, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I thought that maybe I had a super genious idea that I would tweet to reviewers and ask them if they were interested in playing my game, pre-release, in hopes to find some of them would like it and would give it a review or at least some exposure.

http://swangle.jamesdunaydesign.com/

I just sent a normal note and a link to the above site. I think it looks pretty professional, and the game is quite fun, however i have been having a really tough time getting anyone to respond in any manner.

I think I may try to move onto getting smaller sites to take a second to look at it, but I'm just very lost as to why no one is responding?

Any tips, or places where your game was reviewed would be so helpful.

Thanks!

2. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    You are just one of hundreds of emails or tweets that those guys get every day. If you don't do something to make yourself stand out, you're just another rain drop in a monsoon.

If you can't do something totally unique, the best thing you can do is make a super tight email with a CONCISE description of your games USP, a killer video, and great screenshots and fire it away.

Also it doesn't hurt if you develop some relationships with these guys before you ask them to do something for you...

These are all lessons that most of us have had to learn the hard way, so welcome to the club!

3. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    Thats probably all true, I'll work on an email and maybe a press release? I just don't want to release the game and blow my chances by not having anyone know about it.

4. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
  5. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    Wow! thats really quite the list, thanks!

6. Attractive looking website you have there. When are you releasing to the general public?

7. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    You're welcome... ;)

8. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    30BelowStudios, well right now its approved by Apple just waiting to see if people want a pre-release look at it. I was told, last time i released a game, that it's a mistake to release it then go looking for reviews, rather I should have a private release, which is what I'm trying but no luck yet. So to answer your question, I think I should release within 2-3 weeks.

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    tricky..

website looks nice and clean.. the game from the screenie aswell..

but then it also looks completly generic and cold.. "just" another word puzzler..?

there is just nothing (for me at least) attractive to it... yes it does not look

like crap.. but then its rather like "ok, next" than "what the heck! , NEXT" ...

i think its very important to give a game character... and i mean this literal.

a mascot of some sort.. something that can "bond" between your game and the eyes of someone...

just tiles with letters on and and some photo textures won't do it.. (even if its looks clean and sharp etc.)

*shrug* my "late night 3:28am cents because i can't sleep"

10. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
    I have to agree with sleepy head here :p Bookworm (by Popcap) is and old but very solid example of a dry word game being made much more attractive & fun by a cute little green worm and a few burning tiles.

It looks like you have a smart mechanic and a tight visual style... but it does lack a little that little fun spark from the outside looking at screenies alone.

11. AppVersal

AppVersal Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Try ReviewRoster(dot)com. Works very well.

12. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    You guys are all probably right, maybe it does need a little more character, but I really spent forever trying to make this game look and feel good (while playing), I'd hate to have to go back and stick in a character just to make it more approachable.

Also taking a look at others that are similar, spelltower, welder, puzzlejuice, it seems like they have found a way to stand out...

13. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    In my (very limited) experience, review sites tend to want to be able to tell their readers as much as possible in a preview. I would recommend sending them a nice, well-written email, with some screenshots and video included. An even more lucrative offer? Tell them that you are willing to make a beta build available.

14. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I am going to download your app by looking at the website alone. It's awesome.

Just to nitpick, the iphone outline has rough edge.

15. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    When sending out an announcement for a game release / review request, can i send a bunch of emails at once? Or is it best to send out individuals?

16. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Personalize the top number of review sites you send to for sure. After that personally I still personalize it but it might not be worth your time.

17. Maciej@PixelElephant

Maciej@PixelElephant Active Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Game developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Your game looks really nice. I don't play a lot word games but I'd surely download it if it was free (and I would notice it in the AppStore).

In fact, I'm now in a very similar situation with my upcoming iOS game called Monstaaa! Maybe this post on reddit I wrote a couple of days ago will give you some inspiration with regard to promoting your app:
    www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/trdzr/i_made_a_game_feedback_and_promotion_tips_welcome/

And yes, I'd recommend sending out well written emails to as many reviewers as you can (prioritized by importance). Also, you definitely need a video trailer, so do make one soon.

Good luck!

Maciej Sawitus
    Developer of Monstaaa!