How did this get into the top 50???

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fiveohthree, Apr 19, 2011.

1. fiveohthree

fiveohthree Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    First off I have to say, I'm not trying to be an a$$hole.

But my question is, how in the world did this app More Buffet! get into the top 50? It is sitting at #33 as I am typing this but I really really just cannot wrap my head around why this app is seeing this level of success.

I did a quick google and it doesn't seem like they did a whole lot of marketing, so please, if anyone can analyze this and come up with a logical answer, please help me :(

Thanks in advance!

2. Fruit Roll

Fruit Roll Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    game designer, game reviewer
    Here and There
    Sometimes I have this kinda confusing too, but dont know the ranking system. Maybe app store's worker know the answer.

3. fiveohthree

Mar 10, 2010
    Yeah, I understand these guys have developed a ton of apps and have had success with them in the past, but my question is more along the vein of how is this so popular? I'm obviously not the target audience of this app although I LOVE food but when I see this thing I just feel like it's a tool for playing make believe.

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Aren't all games a tool for playing make believe? I see this kind of like those apps that give you virtual tours of museums, etc. I've seen a lot worse apps make it into the top 50-different strokes and all that.

5. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    thats amazing. an app like that..

6. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Well with the previous success came a huge user database!It was enough to campaign that app among users, and it got enough momentum to land in top 50!

7. fiveohthree

Mar 10, 2010
    tbh that's what i think too...if that's the case then i'll have to give these guys respect for finding this type of niche market and creating such a loyal userbase.

8. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    #10 TinyTechnician, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
    They are totally missing a "More Donuts" App! They need to get on that STAT!

Agree, as long as their ranking truly is based on users and not some type of "ranking hack/scam". Call it good or bad, but the App Store allows developers to make niche Apps for niche markets. Seems like the success/ranking of the other Apps show that those users like and want more of those types of Apps...why wouldn't the developer give it's user base more of what they want.

9. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Um no...I play angry birds for reals...

and I also play tiny wings for reals...i just put on a penguin suit and slide down the nearest hill...what planet do you live on?

10. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Maverick puts out hit after hit. Most of their new apps hit #1 in their category. Kids love those type of apps. There really is no mystery, big following, solid apps = success.

11. Renegadecitizen

Renegadecitizen Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    And it has a good rating too
    On the Canadian store it has a 5 star rating

12. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Sometimes i think its just pure random luck that these apps get up there out of the thousands of apps out there. Im sure having decent following can make even the dumbest app get to the top 100 at least.

13. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    did you read the posts in the thread before posting this?

More Cowbell had about a million downloads
    More Toast was #1 in multiple categories and was the top 5 for months and is still in the top 100. Probably close to a million sales.
    Cupcakes was was #1 in multiple categories was the top 5 for months and is still in the top 50. Probably close to a 700k sales.
    More Sundas - see above
    More Pizza - see above
    More Salad - see above

Now More Buffet

Maverick is one of the top 20 most successful companies on the platform. It isn't 'luck' - to think it is, is foolish.

14. DJMoya

DJMoya Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Arcade Attendant
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Yes i read the thread but i dont think its foolish to think it may be just luck that some of these apps get to the top. I understand Maverick is a big company on the iphone but if a big company releases a game without much depth or gameplay such as more cowbell i find it hard to believe it would get that popular.. Maybe i just dont understand why people love these kind of games/apps so much...?

15. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Love is probably not that big a factor in the equation. The major piece missing for most titles is the visibility. After all you have no real idea whether you will like a title until after you have downloaded it.

Larger companies with a portfolio of apps and marketing muscle obviously have a much better chance of catching the necessary attention.

16. stkim1

stkim1 Member

I've long given up finding a single solid reason why some apps are ranking higher. But then, it turns out they have their fair share in this world. I must give kudos to those who have found it first. ;)

17. Lucky Loot

Lucky Loot Well-Known Member

You can be good, you can be bad ,but actually it does not matter... Who cares about you if no one has ever heard of you.

18. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Look up, my point went over your head.:rolleyes: