Need developer feedback about this advert

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Attollos Technologies, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
    Hey guys,

I am relatively new to internet marketing and would love it if you guys could give me some advice / feedback about this advert I've made. The 'by our favourite intern' part is due to the fact its going on sticksports.com and I have done some work for them.

Any advice / feedback / anyone saying they just plain hate it would be appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    It is not very memorable in my opinion.
    What are the numbers on the left supposed to represent?

3. Attollos Technologies

Attollos Technologies Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    iPhone Development Company
  4. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

Sorry to be so blunt, but there are a too many things wrong with that picture to even try to enumerate them... You should consider asking an artist for help.

5. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Biggest Issue I have is the numerous different fonts & styles - 4 without the app store sign.
    1) I would make the height measure very thin and subtle - maybe even let out some of the height numbers at all to put more focus on the characters.

2) The "they.came.to.take.our.world looks goofy, imo. Should be one complete sentence without the punctuation.

3) The sentence from 2) is not really connected to the game's title - so you really have to focus on the ad to capture everything it means to convey - which is a bad thing for an ad, imo. It needs to be captured within a few moments at best.

4) The game's title looks kinda cheap too, with the bevelled effect applied. Since I don't know that game, I don't know if that's the general title or handmade for the ad. I'd think about a the font effect. Either way, pure white would be better than the bevel version

5) The characters themselves look rather unloved - they look like some quick 25 gfx job with the strokes being all of the same thickness everywhere (outline, highlight, details) and some parts come off as a bit sloppy. Like the eye of the green guy has the black outline around the green part not fully flowing into the white part's outline.

6) the drop shadow effect should be a bit more sharp and not blurred out to the max, imo.

7) The aliens should be more incorporated into the ground, so they don't look like floating but have the same level.

Some general examples I found, with the shadows applied:
    http://th00.deviantart.net/fs15/PRE/f/2007/061/1/9/Usual_Alien_Suspects_by_cgaussie.jpg

http://mintees.com/files/tees/2/262161/800x400-The_Usual_Suspects__layout__copy.jpg