Universal Fruit Ninja (by Halfbrick)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 20, 2010.

1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010

Vegetables?

2. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    Probably not since it's Fruit ninja.

I guess it's the new banana mode.

3. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

First thing I'm gonna do when I get an iPhone again (iPhone 4! :D), Fruit Ninja. Definitely.

4. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
    rice and Tnt bombs :D

5. Beautiful Girl

Jun 11, 2010
  6. iDRevolution

iDRevolution Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Canada
    to eat or other stuff?

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Care to give some hints? ;)

8. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Better tell or I'll chop you in half. Or multi-chop you, maybe? :D

9. aznriceboi13

aznriceboi13 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    to die
    where rice paddies grow...
  10. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
  11. CioCio

CioCio Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Listen, this game is already great as is, and I can't count the minutes I've spent with it, but I think it has room to grow beyond even the additional Zen mode. Perhaps take a cue from the patterning systems of games like Scoops and Sky Burger, maybe with drink cocktails or something. Two bunches of cranberries, some lemon, some lime, and then you break a bottle of vodka over top and you have a tasty concoction!

I guess that would be a mature mode.

12. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Hope the update gets approved today :rolleyes:

13. HalfbrickPhil

HalfbrickPhil Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    #933 HalfbrickPhil, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
    That's pretty much all the stuff I had to say about the matter officially. We're continuing to do what we do, Veggie Samurai doesn't change anything about the philosophy of Fruit Ninja and what will ensure it remains awesome through continued updates. I think many of you know me well enough now that I can honestly say everyone at Halfbrick appreciates the community support more than you know. We really are proud to be a prominent part of the iPhone space and try our hardest to make sure as many fans as possible are satisfied with our games.

The thing is, as I said in the article, everyone takes inspiration and ideas from others including us. Hell, our next game is in the same realm as Canabalt and Robot Unicorn Attack and most certainly isn't as original as Fruit Ninja. The only thing that pretty much took us aback at Halfbrick is how little QS changed pretty much anything, and made it as close to Fruit Ninja as physically possible without actually calling it that.

The simple truth is we absolutely expected games to adopt the same slicing mechanic, in the same way that many games use the same mechanics as Flight Control, Doodle Jump, Canabalt etc. We just didn't think the first game to utilise the mechanic would be so very similar to ours in more ways than just the gameplay style. Again, QS is free to do what they do and make their game, but by choosing the path of "let's do vegetables instead of fruits, ship it" then people will take notice in a negative way.

14. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    Don't worry! this really has shown QS in a bad light, people don't take kindly to blatant "rip-offs", the negativity around Quality Sh*t (I mean QS! opps!) will only get worse.

Fruit ----> Veg all day long! :D

15. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    I really don't care of rip-offs, clones what ever.
    99% of all are games are clones of other games.
    And sometimes the clones are better than the 'originals'.

Fruit Ninja is not the first game where you cut up some thing.
    But it is a great cut up/slice game, and I play it every day.

Just my 2 cent :)

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    For iphone there is Run! which is far more advanced than so so programmed Canabalt, and it was released before Canabalt. It had also first spot at German appstore. But everybody talks about Canabalt, just because of all that hype about pricing etc.

17. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    Maybe people prefer Canabalt because it is less advanced ;)

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    There is nothing so so about the programming of Canabalt and people talk about it because of how artistic and well made it is.

If you want to use Run! as an example then you should compare it to Mirror's Edge for iPad. It's basically Run! with less obstacles, a 3D sheen, and an EA license.

19. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    VeganTnT
    simple game which eats accu so fast as Canabalt is so so programmed. Especially if we can compare it with, for example more advanced, Fruit Ninja or many other games. They could make at least connections to the server less frequent. And artistic stuff is too subjective to argue about it.

20. HalfbrickPhil

HalfbrickPhil Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    A great day today guys, Fruit Ninja has risen back in the rankings and is #4 in the US. We're really happy to be in this spot for both the upcoming 1.3 update, as well as the release of iPhone 4.

Also, did anyone check out the Metal Gear Solid Rising trailer which showed Raiden chopping watermelon? Some others have made the connection already - it would be awesome if Kojima was a fan of the game. A long shot but it's possible!