Mass "What should I get?" Thread 2011

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Zincous, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

1. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. .

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Getting Bumpy Road, SiaT, and maybe CR Omega tonight.

Anything else that's worth picking up?

2. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    hey what are some good older platformers, I think I have all the new ones.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Not really .................................................................................................................................... for you at least! Hurry up and upgrade so you can download Infinity Blade multiplayer xP.

4. dxfan101010

dxfan101010 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    #17644 dxfan101010, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
    I am substituting tna for CR Omega but that looks about right.

Edit: And candy train

5. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Rolando/Rolando 2
    Toybot Chronicles
    Spybot Chronicles
    Frogatto
    Bounce on/Bounce on 2
    Soosiz
    Shift/Shift 2
    Edge
    Pizza Boy
    Babylonian Twins

These are all very exceptional to say the least. I guess they're what you'd consider older. The Rolando series and Edge are must-haves for any fan of platformers to begin with. They're what you'd call iOS classics that still own it up.

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    haha. k. 5th gen for sure. Oh how I wish it was being released next month. Hopefully it still will.

Try Pizza Boy and Rolando.

7. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Have the rolandos, soozis, and bounce ons-love the art style and all were so worth it. Wish listed edge but does not seems like a priority with all the good games coming and my backlog of ios 4 games (still waiting on the new touch). Did not like the shift games, not sure why. Did not like b-twins lite either. pizza boy seems like a must and I will check out the others. Thanks.

8. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Hm, pretty similar preferences then xP. I'd start with Frogatto and Pizza Boy for what's left of that list then. They're your more traditional platformers that work really well on the iOS.

9. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Sounds like a plan. I have to ask, have you ever asked on this thread, or have you always been the one giving the answers. I think im pretty confident the latter is the answer though. Anyway, thanks again, frogatto looks really great also.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #17650 backtothis, May 19, 2011
    I don't ask about what games to buy since more often than not, I know what kind of games I want. I love strategy (RTS, TBS) games, RPGs, shooters of every kind, physics puzzlers, and anything that has good online multiplayer. I take more time in deciding if I want to get a $0.99 casual game than a game like Chaos Rings Omega, consequently. I occasionally ask questions here though. They're just not about what games I should get.

Edit: I'm a sucker for casual survival games as well for some reason, be it an endless runner like monster dash or something unique like Tilt to Live and Silverfish.

11. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Yeah backtothis seems to be the expert. He has thoroughly answered all of my questions that I've had. I really appreciate that.

12. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    we all do.

WHO WANTS TO MAKE A THANK YOU CARD FOR HIM WITH ME?!?!

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I tend to just buy everything but not participate in this thread :p

Just played a bit of Bumpy Road and Storm In A Teacup... both really good fun. SiaT is more of a platformer while Bumpy Road is more in the vein of an endless runner (although there is a mode with an end, the goal being to get there as fast as possible), so if you absolutely hate the likes of Canabalt with every ounce of your being... you might want to go with SiaT. Bumpy Road does have more to it than Canabalt though since you get to interact with the game beyond just tapping to jump. I'm finding the controls really fun, it's gonna take some getting used to but I'm enjoying the learning process.

Both games look amazing on my retina display, SiaT is full of colourful detail and Bumpy Road is wonderfully artistic with all the parallax scrolling in the background going on. If you know you like endless runner games, Bumpy Road is probably the most relaxing and (cliche inbound) zen-like one you've ever played on iOS and you'll already have an idea of how much play time you'll get out of it. SiaT has 40 levels and I shot through five of them in about 10 minutes, but the difficulty is already increasing and there's hidden stuff to find in each level, plus your best times are recorded, so if you're a completionist there's at least enough content to warrant your $0.99 purchase.

That felt like a bit of a cobbled together post, but I'm still playing as I type so that's my excuse :p Feel free to shoot any more specific questions my way.

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #17654 backtothis, May 19, 2011
    Haha, I'll pass xP, but thanks. Well, this is in a way the only thread I post in, so it's nothing. Rarely post in any threads outside of game discussion forum. Just here since I buy all of the notable releases and know I can help some people who have questions. Yeah, I buy tons of games, but don't get me wrong, I'll kill you on any of them that have multiplayer on them xD.

Edit: Thanks for the impressions Midian. Sounds good. I'll probably actually skip out on Orions 2 and Ink Ball tonight, and just grab the two you mentioned and Chaos Rings Omega.

15. gwet17

gwet17 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks for taking the time to post impressions, I'll be staying up to buy both tonight.
    What a great night of releases! Most of what I can't buy I'll be saving for when I get my next gift card!
    :D

16. Acidflameterror

Acidflameterror Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Student
    What are must haves for tonight's release?

17. injuwarrior

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    You pretty much named all genres that 99% of people on ios enjoy. Looks like you are the grand high TOFTTer. Maybe call it the ask backtothis thread? But more seriously, seems like ive got a long list of games to play when I get the touch. God how I regret clicking the cheaper 3-4 weeks delivery. My not inconsiderable math tells me I have 3 weeks and 2 days left (assuming the worst of the previously stated). Well I can be glad quite a few of them are platformers, and the others are all some really nice looking puzzlers (along with some AAA's).

18. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    [​IMG]
    get it? apple!

and thanks midian. [​IMG]
    for the impressions

19. holyshoot

holyshoot Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    school-_-
    the first chaos rings did not appeal to me, fighting higher lvl enemies seemed the same as lower lvl ones, or is that just me, well it just wasn't for me so this new one will most likely not be bought tonight, i think i might just wait for ff tactics

20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Chaos Rings Omega
    Bumpy Road
    Storm in a Teacup
    Orions 2

You can scroll down on the frontpage and find the Wednesday releases article by Hodapp to get more details on all of them and some of the other games if you want. Some of the release threads have a bit of impressions already as well.