iPad Final Fantasy Tactics: The War Of The Lions - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #181 SkyMuffin, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    Game Impressions

Thanks for this! I forgot about turning up text speed.

A few impressions:

-Game looks fine on my retina display, but it is not crystal clear. The text is a bit blurry but readable.
    -Although the devs said they had fixed the spell slowdown issue, I am definitely still getting some slowdown when people attack or cast spells. Very noticeable in the first battle, not so much after. This may get on some people's nerves with longer gaming sessions.
    -Also some slowdown when camera turns/pivots. :(
    -Touch controls are a bit tricky, but once you get used to them it's pretty nice. Works surprisingly well. Only issue is that the devs didn't turn on the option to touch anywhere to "Okay" by default, so you have to do it manually from the game options.
    -There is a save mode which allows you to suspend a game in the middle of a battle and then return to it later, similar to how GBA quicksaves work. The menu to get to it is a bit of a pain-- four or five taps.
    -They did not fix the "reverb" issue with the PSP version, so some sounds (especially death sounds) still sound "flat" compared to the PSX original. :( I really hope they fix this!
    -The animated cutscenes and voice acting from the PSP remake are AMAZING, especially if you are seeing them for the first time. Still prefer the original PSX intro though.
    -Some abilities have been renamed, and some of the dialogue has been rewritten to sound more "olde englishy" or formal in the old style. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it might surprise you if you've only played the PSX version.
    -Multitasking works surprisingly well.

All in all, a pretty excellent port. I hope they fix these little issues though-- it will make the game a lot more enjoyable in the long run.

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I hope they put FF3 on sale. Then I'll probably pick it up and not play it until months later.

3. blutrane

blutrane Member

Feb 25, 2010
    This is my favourite game ever I have played every version on every possible platform and unfortunately this is by far the worst implementation

This version is all around lagy and lacks the echoing sound effects of the ps1 original. I love having this on my phone but have to face facts that its just not optimal.

the psp version lagged during battle effects true but at least the rest of this game worked perfectly.

Too bad i love the the revamped text in war of the lions but the ps1 version played on psp for me is still the best portable experience for this game

4. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I'm pretty sure the reverb/echo was also an issue in the PSP version. Hopefully they will fix it in the future?

5. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Honestly of all the FFT, my fav was A2 Grimores of the rift.

I have the most experience in Advance though.

6. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I never liked Tactics Advance 1 but 2 really grew on me over time. My favorite still has to be this, or even Tactics Ogre (not FF but they did help create FFT).

7. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Can anyone with 3GS who bought FFT post how it is? Also, saw 1 one-star review...-_-

8. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I lost my best team in the Jagds

I almost cried.

Then my best Bangaa was hit with enough penalties to be my weakest character.

9. V Kuolema

V Kuolema Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Canada
    I play on a 3GS... It works well enough, I suppose. When the camera shifts or a spell or attack is done, it lags slightly every time. Not the worst thing in the world... But it is a little annoying after awhile.

10. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    ^

Thanks. Im still on the fence here. I missed those random battles. Remember 12-15 monks? Im pretty sure I saw 20 at one point but I dont want to exaggerate haha.

11. Spardian

Spardian Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Being a huge FFT fan, played the original a good 30-40 times when I was younger, finished the PSP version 2 times and am now currently powering my way through this one.

I'd say this has the best controls - you can simply do stuff faster, since the whole ui is touch enabled.

They did an amazing job with the controls.

12. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This is a really good port and I will gladly double-dip when the iPad version goes live. That is likely to be the best version EVAR. Touch is simply a better interface.

13. Ghenjei

Ghenjei New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    #193 Ghenjei, Aug 4, 2011
    I'm in agony here. I must've played the original playstation version like five times. I haven't played it since then. I really want to buy it but I just got a shiny new iPad 2 and don't have an iPhone. Damn you SquareEnix!

Actually, I'm sure I played it much more than that. I wasted a lot of youth on that game.

14. Varyl

Varyl Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Okay, don't know if this has already been mentioned yet or not, but in the Options, "12. Touch-Activated Menu Items" Turn this from off to on, and omg I am soooooo much happier with the controls now.

I am personally experiencing a little slowdown on spell cast, but haven't restarted phone since getting things up and running in the game, having trouble putting it down long enough to do so.

15. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Really curious about the ipad version.

the iphone version has huge borders on top and bottom to keep the 16:9 ratio of the psp screen.

Wonder if the ipad version will have even bigger ones?

16. frost11m

frost11m New Member

Aug 4, 2011
    it runs on my 2g I've played the first two battle n so far it only lags when there's a spell but it doesn't ruin any gameplay

17. backslashio

backslashio Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Perth, WA
    I noticed Chaos Rings Omega is on sale now to celebrate the release of Tactics. Only 26% off whilst the original Final Fantasy games are 45% off? Why can't they just use the same discount for all of their games? :(

18. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #198 Cilo, Aug 4, 2011
    I just spent a good hour taking my time enjoying the beginning cutscenes, first two opening battles, reorganizing my party, and changing some options around in settings. The only gripes I can see are a very slight slowdown on certain spells, and the blue bars during combat could have easily been removed to just have the menu/ok buttons as an overlay. And that's been really picky.

I didn't find any issues with the text, and all sound levels seem to be great. I haven't played this since the Psx days, (never owned a Psp) and I really love the updated dialogue compared to the original version. The cutscenes are also beautiful, they are sewn seamlessly into gameplay, which is a treat (you had to watch lego people the whole time in the original).

19. Snacks48

Snacks48 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    At first I was sort of shocked at how the ui is, but you slowly adapt to it. When you get to the world map THAT is when I remembered the great final fantasy tactics, spent a good amount of time thinking about how i'm going to level up my characters, and equipping them with armor and skills. I can easily say this version brings the nostalgic FFT feel that every version gives.

To new players do the tutorials, this game can eat up players who charge into the game not knowing how anything works.

20. ressique

ressique Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    How are the graphics on the ipad 2?