Universal Pinball Arcade - (by FarSight)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Paragon is a good one. I'd be happy to see that added as well.

2. chubbypillow

chubbypillow Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    NY
    I love both Zen Pinball and Pinball Arcade. Pinball Arcade feels more like the real thing (which is great in what its trying to accomplish with simulation), but Zen Pinball is more entertaining with better physics, graphics, and sound.

Pinball Arcade- I hope I will see every table ever released by those listed distributors. I WANT TO EVENTUALLY SEE MY NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET UNLOCKABLE TABLE!!! (play nightmare on elm street theme music)

3. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    What other tables are they planning on releasing? I don't know much about pinball though I love playing it, are they going to have any tables based on other properties, like the South Park one or the Super Mario World one, stuff like that? They may not be pinball classics or anything, not that I would know if one was or wasn't, but they're a lot of fun regardless.

4. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    All the tables planned for Pinball Arcade are tables that actually existed in arcades over the past four or five decades. I'm not sure how far they'll go back, but I personally really enjoyed Jive Time in PHOF Williams collection...

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm not associated with Farsight but I gather a couple of things from having followed their series of pinball games:

1) All of these tables will be accurately based on REAL WORLD tables. There was a South Park table as I recall but am not sure if it was considered all of that great or not.

2) What they charge for each table will be based largely (I believe) on licensing costs. I can only imagine if a table either costs way too much to get the rights to, or sadder, they are unable to get the rights to some tables, we'll probably never see them in the series.

6. bmanic

bmanic Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Nope. Nope. Nope. Zen Pinball most definitely doesn't have better physics. They are far inferior to Pinball Arcade. Have you ever played a real pinball table?

The flippers have proper inertia. The ball has proper bounce. The various materials have a proper elasticity and causes the ball to bounce as well. None of these factors are in Zen Pinball.

I'm not bashing Zen as I think they have decent games but I'm not going to let an inaccurate statement go without some criticism. It isn't even subjective in this case.. I'm fairly sure one could make some empirical tests and measure how the ball behaves and come to the same conclusion but I'll just trust my more than 20 years of real pinball playing experience. :)

7. ikelleigh

ikelleigh Member

May 5, 2009
    Please please please let them release Attack From Mars, and Lord of the Rings

8. Rudi

Rudi Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Thanks for describing this fantastic pinball. I used to play it here in Germany
    30 years ago and it was one of my absoulte favourites.There were so many ways
    ,specials,to get free games.The gameplay and the artwork are fantastic.Nice to see other people sharing the same passion.

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    The latter hasn't been mentioned, but Attack From Mars is definitely on the list. Here's the announced upcoming DLC:

10. BeefJerky

BeefJerky Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    The texture issues are odd. It almost feels like something went weird in the rendering or a bug or something. Like, in the Theatre of Magic table, two of the lights toward the bottom have very clear text while the ones in a row just above them are illegible. And many don't just look blurry, they're jagged like poor scaling. Odd.

Aside from the Predator balls (most a problem on Ripleys), I think these are pretty great. Black Hole is a wonderful table, as always, as is Arabian Nights. I'll look forward to more. And yeah, I'd love to see the Elm Street table if licensing allows.

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Stargate! One of the few good Premier/Gottleib games. I want that. :) Freddy isn't too bad either. There's so many games we need, not the least of which is Addams Family and Addams Family Gold. I want both of those.

The ball is probably the weakest part of this game. On an iPad 2 with the fancy reflections it looks strange. On iPhone 4 without that it looks dull, like a ball that has never been changed out in years. They need to take those things out and put in some new ones. LOL.

12. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#192 Habakuk, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Just for the completeness' sake: Landscape view can be obtained by tilting the device in the table choice menu screen, in the table's menu screen with the second "Start" button—but not later (not during gameplay as in other iOS pinball games). Works on iPhone and iPad.

Here you have screenshots of the tables Black Hole and Ripley's in landscape orientation. You can choose between three "Cam Angles: Medium (1), High (2) and Low (3)" with a fixed camera or scrolling (up and down with some special events) camera movement (those options are available at any time and in both landscape and portrait orientation).

Click image for full iPad 2 pixel resolution. Built-in puzzle: Find all orbs. ;) (There is ONE ball in each image.)

Attached Files:

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    You can switch to landscape (or vice versa) at any time other than after you actually start the game. So not just the game selection screen, but the screen for a particular game as well, just before you actually start playing.

14. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. Completed my posting.

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    By the way, I really appreciate that this game has a count down before continuing from pause. Wish more games did that.

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I want Adam's Family and Funhouse badly! When can we expect new tables and what are they gonna be? Will probably get 'em all! Love it! Keep up the good work!

17. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    They need to add HDMI output support to this. Then I just need to find an empty cabinet and mount a monitor in it .....

18. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    #198 Benegesserit, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
    Medieval Madness®
    Funhouse®
    Attack from Mars®
    Pin•Bot®
    Circus Voltaire®

HUGE fans of these pins. Medieval Madness is probably the most engaging pin of all time.

About PinBot: When I was being babysat at someone else's house after school I played PinBot for hours on the NES nearly every time! I loved how that version turned your ball into other shapes and you had to attack moving objects on the board. Pretty much only that and Metroid Pinball were the only non-simulation pinball titles I liked.

Just throwing my hat in the ring on comments some other titles I don't know of being announced yet:

WOULD LOVE

Junkyard
    Addams Family (Gold, preferred -- good luck getting a real pin to work from)
    The Getaway: High Speed II (my most played pin in college)
    Gilligan's Island (played this every time as a kid at a local pizza joint my family went to at least twice a month)
    The Machine: Bride of Pin*Bot (man that center ramp is a pita lol)
    NBA Fastbreak (sadly you'll never afford this one)
    The Simpsons (NOT Pinball Party)
    White Water
    Super Mario Brothers Mushroom World
    The Champion Pub
    Star Trek: The Next Generation

Not really interested in (but could likely be considered due to popularity):

LOTR and Indiana Jones are two tables I probably wouldn't buy because I just could not get into the table. They both seemed to have too many situations where the table was specifically designed to screw you (perfect angle to drop the ball down the center).
    Twilight Zone just wasn't very interesting to me but hey, it's #1 on http://www.ipdb.org so it's probably coming.

19. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    so... how much do i really need to pay for this app?

i don't really like the arabian board....

20. chubbypillow

chubbypillow Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    NY
    It's not an inaccurate statement at all. Not all people prefer one thing over another. Someone can say Final Fantasy 6 is best in the series, while other people will dispute it.

And like I have stated, Pinball Arcade feels more like the real thing. And yes, I have played Pinball machines in the arcades, I lived for more than a half of the pinball lifespan. Pinball Arcade physics are accurate (sluggish, in a sense, but accurate). I just prefer the physics of Zen Pinball.