HDMI out and gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by killercow, Dec 18, 2012.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Been there on several occasions.

"Hey check this game out"

*iMessage noises*

[ I sleep naked. ]

[​IMG]

2. That is kinda cool to have a 4:3 monitor and not resort to stretching like I do. I have like 5 zoom/stretch modes, and have go keep fiddling with them to see which style I like to play with. Most games stretch to full screen great, but some seem a little distorted, so I use the various zoom or panoramic modes.

But man, your pictures (one attached), dang look so wonderful! What kind of camera are you using? I can't get any good pictures, cause I use a terrible iphone 4 camera, and lighting is bad in my room.

But your shots look really good! I am very impressed. How do airplay full screen supported hdmi games look on your screen? In your case, there is no need for airplay widescreen mode, but curious how beat hazard, nova 3, or real racing 2 would look like and if there would be a 4:3 airplay mode, or whether it would somehow trick itself to go mirrored.

Anyway, looks very cool. Right now I am beta testing icade core joystick support for Plasma Sky, and integrating it with hdmi. You can read about it here.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182425&page=36

Attached Files:

3. Reposted from the icade thread

Attached Files:

4. Reprinted from icade thread

Attached Files:

5. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    #245 Xeyad, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    It's just an iPhone 4S camera! :p Yes, the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 have really spectacular cameras!

Anyways, I tried out NOVA 3, Fifa 13, and Sky Gamblers AirSupremacy...they work in AirPlay mode, but in a 4:3 aspect ratio. Those games have higher resolution than the mirrored games, at least that's what they seem to me, but happily no drops in frames except for Fifa 13.

Thanks Connector for the repost of the PlayPad controller ;)

6. Repost from icade thread. I had asked the developers of The Other Brothers a couple of questions. I worked with him a little on icade support and got him to put in transparent controls for us. He is a nice guy. Buy The Other Brothers, works great on hdmi and also with an icade joystick!!! :D

Attached Files:

7. #247 Connector, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    Reprint from TA's Game of the Week Thread

Greetings,

This week I have the pleasure of playing three games - Mr. Crab, Blendoku, and Dungeon Hunter 4. It has taken some thinking as to which game I would choose this week. Mr. Crab is great with having both portrait/landscape support which makes it easy to play on HDMI tv. It has simple controls, and great fun. Blendoku is a great puzzle game and made by the developer of the game Brainsss, which I beta tested for.

However, this time I will have to go with Gameloft and Dungeon Hunter 4. While I know this game has been somewhat criticized for being a freemium and having some wait timers, the fun factor has been good for me. One of the biggest factors in my decision, is this game supports airplay widescreen, so it plays absolutely great on a big tv! So because of that, I will vote for Dungeon Hunter 4. The link to the airplay supported games is as follows:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173262&page=6

Now, a couple of other interesting tidbits, thought I would just post it here cause some of you more active members would read this.

First, I am currently helping some developers implement icade controls. I assisted in two really recent games - the other brothers and plasma sky.

Plasma sky's developer has worked extensively with me to produce many a one of the kind icade support - 5 sensitivity settings for joystick control. What this means is that the ship will move in up to 5 different speed settings depending on the icade sensitivity setting you choose.

The developer was very receptive to my ideas on icade control, and I tried to develop a joystick control that would impress even Syntheticvoid, cause often, me and him are talking to developers like dotemu and others on implementing different controls.

I have always advocated instantaneous touch which was implemented in such titles such as Blazing Star and Raiden Legacy, and Syntheticvoid has always liked joystick slower movement too as an option.

So, on Plasma Sky, I tried hard to get the developer to have many different joystick type play, from really slow but graceful motion joystick action like really old games like space invaders, a normal like setting close to Phoenix HD or Danmaku 2, and 3 faster settings, some very close to crazy. In fact some of the higher settings, I get scared that my ipad will fall out of my icade core cause gameplay becomes more violent.

The Plasma Sky icade update will be coming out around this weekend, so keep an eye out for feedback of the icade controls, because it is probably the first game ever on ios to have 5 joystick speed settings, in fact, I can't even recall a console game that can do this.

I hope this will become a standard in joystick play on the future kinda how moveable controls are now too in ios platformers. So be on the lookout for the update, and if you don't have an ipad, icade core joystick, or hdmi tv, then get one!

Second, I have been spending some time trying to get more activity in the lounge as of late. A fairly large group of us new lounge lizards have started up alot of lounge games, and a new TA chatroom, which has close to 800 pages already in only about a month and a half. Please come check it out and join us at anytime. Take the time to read the first page of the chatroom, there are a ton of interesting links and other information on there.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=180815

Third, somehow I got another title change, don't have any idea why, but ninjackid made me aware of it, and you can read my reply in my sig. Thanks Eli and crew, looks pretty cool. And for any of you that haven't read the HDMI or icade joystick links, please hit the link in my title to see them. The chatroom and HDMI threads are maintained by me, so take a look when you got time.

Sorry for sometimes seeming to post so much about hdmi and icade, but by my posting, it has created a great interest in using an idevice as a console. At first, I remember it seemed like only Killercow and I were the only hdmi users in the whole wide universe, but slowly many members now use hdmi or apple tv. Same kinda with icade, so little time ago, it just seemed like Adams Immersive and me having a conversation together, but now, there are many more icade users.

Been excited to help work on a couple of titles recently with icade support, tabletop racing, plasma sky, the other brothers, and some others. Icade seems to be getting more mainstream now, and I am really happy with what we were able to do with Plasma Sky with 5 icade settings. It is awesome.

Fourth, past 10,000 posts, mostly because of the chatroom hehe, but if you look at the chatroom's toc (table of contents, page 1), you can see my 10,000 post with thanks to TA and crew.

Fifth, I support Real Racing 3 now cause of implementation of icloud in the update, better framerates for ipad 3, better sounds, and smaller disk size (800mb less!). And of course cause the wait timers were reduced to about one hour on the US release. So now my rating has gone up from 4 stars to 4.5 stars. Very highly recommended!

Sixth, we had our first developer Q&A in the Toucharcade's chatroom with rodgreen who is the developer for Blendoku, you can read some of it here

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=180815&page=782

Seventh, that's it! That's all I can think of, plus it's late! Hopefully it made some interesting reading for you all. :)

Attached: Plasma Sky with icade support - 5 joystick speed settings - will be out by this weekend!

Attached Files:

8. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Widescreen airplay support? Dungeon Hunter 4... Must resist...

9. Toucharcade's Airplay list

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2638368&postcount=52

Yeah, it is interesting to play airplay hdmi.

One of my favorite airplay widescreen hdmi tv games is Beat Hazard, and it is cool to have the music pumping loud through my soundbar!

Also, the visuals on a widescreen are amazing as attached.

Attached Files:

10. Reprint of me giving Exact Psience a hard time about buying an icade core. Originally posted in the game of the week thread.

You gotta do it sometime or another. At around $35 for an icade core, it will be a great investment. Fangz dev told me he's gonna buy an icade and it should have icade support soon. The other bros now has icade, plasma sky has 5 icade speed settings, tabletop racing runs great on icade. Oh, metal slug x is awesome, so is danmaku 2, blazing star, raiden, mikey shorts, oh the list is endless.

Come on EP, I just need about 3 of the elders to get one, and boom, most everyone will follow and get one. Take the plunge, admit that joystick control is better than touch controls. Try hdmi, and then say ios consoles are better. Join the dark side...

No really, get an icade core! It really is wonderful. You will start loving shmups even more. And maybe you can help me to get more endless runners on icade!

Attached last's weeks nominated game The Other brothers.

Attached Files:

11. #251 Connector, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    Reprint from Plasma Sky Thread

Plasma sky works fine with my iphone 4 with my icade core. So yes, it should work fine, if not I'm sure we can work with Volbard to make sure it works. I think all icade compatible joysticks, and all suppported iphones/itouches should work with icade and Plasma sky.

Let us know how all 5 joystick speed settings work.

-------

I would actually recommend getting an icade core joystick. It has great gameplay cause of the big stick and buttons, and you can use it with an iphone or ipad. Just put your iphone on a little stand, and play with the icade core in hour lap.

Or play with iphone in hdmi/appletv mode with a big tv. Then you can just put the icade core in your lap.

Plus, if you ever get an ipad, you can use it with it later. Or even play on a friend's ipad cause it pairs up really easily.

But icade junior looks like great fun too.

Yes, that junior looks quite cool. I would love to give it a whirl. But someday try it with it's big bro, an icade core and a retina ipad, it is cool too. :)

[​IMG]

-------
    Picture of icade junior

Attached Files:

12. #252 Connector, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    Reprint from Bubble Pig thread, made by Donut Games. This is free today and plays well with my icade core joystick. Also, note other icade Donut games in Kenny's post.

13. #253 Connector, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    So what are your top 10 favorite icade joystick games?

My top 10 right now...

Plasma Sky
    Metal Slug X
    Tabletop Racing (pictured)
    Blazing Star
    Danmaku 2
    Phoenix HD
    Raiden Legacy
    The Other Brothers
    Storm Strikers
    Super Crossfire HD

[​IMG]

14. #254 Connector, Apr 23, 2013
    Icade Models and Buying Guide

Icade Models and Buying Guide
    -----------------------------------

There are quite a few models of joysticks and joypads that will support icade protocol as of late. Some are made by the creator of icade, Ion, and others are made by various other companies.

The official Ion icade controllers are as follows:

[​IMG]

The original icade was kind of a miniature cabinet. It was designed more for nostalgic reasons, and some like it cause of it's real arcade look.

The icade core joystick is the one I recommend cause it is the most versatile. It will work with all ipads, and all iphones via bluetooth. The idevices do not have to be in the slot to work. For example, you can have your ipad hooked into hdmi tv, and then, just use the icade core in your lap as a wireless joystick.

[​IMG]

Or put your iphone or ipad on a stand on a table, and play the core in your lap. Or put your ipad or iphone in the slot as almost a sort of cabinet. An ipad mini will work fine too with the icade core. In portrait mode, will look great. In landscape, the mini will be a little lower, but the whole screen will be visible.

The other versions are mainly for iphone (though I still recommend the icade core for an iphone). The mobile and jr are cool for their uses.

There are some other non Ion brands, such as:

The 8-bitty is small, like a joypad, but the button mapping is terrible. Also, the quality of parts is not all that great. But the portability and size are great.

[​IMG]

Most games are made for button mapping for the original and icade. Take a look at the button mapping of the 8-bitty. You will notice the main buttons are the usual start and select buttons, which is unfortunate.

[​IMG]

The is also the Nyko playpad pro joystick (icad supported)

See this post. It seems to have some promise, it is made more for Android, but it has an icade compatibility setting. Seems kinda like an xbox type controller, but the dual analog sticks will not work for icade. Might be worth a look.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2776271&postcount=1633

[​IMG]

And finally the Ipega gamepad (icade support). This is for iphone only, and the holder does worry me cause it seems flimsy, but read this.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2770383&postcount=1629

[​IMG]

There's probably others and probably will be new ones in the future too. But bottom line, I still recommend the icade core joystick, just cause it has a big stick and buttons, will work with ipads and iphones, it fits great in your lap, has a slot for an ipad or iphone, is somewhat portable, and is the best to use with hdmi tv.

[​IMG]

Also, make sure to check Ion's official page, it will list which games are supported by which joysticks. Most will work with the original and core, but the others have spotty support. Also, take a look at all the games for icade.

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/icade-games

Hope this helps! :)

-------

Reprint from Toucharcade's Chatroom

Lax has both, and I trust his word, he is the main upkeeper of the icade thread, and I would agree. Just buy the icade core, it works with both ipads and iphones, and while it isn't perfect for iphone use like it is for the ipad, it is very useable.

The iphone or itouch will fit in the slot or you can play with your iphone on a stand on a table, and with icade core in your lap or on the table. Here is a picture of my icade core with an iphone game. Phoenix HD with iphone 4 with an icade core joystick.

[​IMG]

In fact, I get a kick out of playing it with my iphone 4 cause it is so fun. A nice change of pace, and kinda funny playing with such a small screen. Like a comedy. :p

15. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    great post Connector! ;)

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Not gaming, but I was wondering if you can use an iPad with HDMI out to a TV to watch iTunes movies in HD? Is it 720p at least? I mean if you rent or buy in iTunes store on the iPad. The last time I tried netflix like this the quality was clearly not HD, but maybe that's not an indication?

17. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    #257 Xeyad, Apr 23, 2013
    of course!

The HDMI adapter was first introduced for the iPad 2, and it's main purpose is to output movies and slideshows.

It works across all A4+ iOS devices. The iPad 1, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 4th Generation are capable of outputting movies and TV-out apps at 720p, but no mirroring. The A5+ devices (iPad 2,3,4, Mini and iPhone 4S,5 and iPod Touch 5th Generation) are capable of outputting movies and TV-out apps at 1080p, as well as mirroring anything else at native resolution.

So to answer your question specifically, you can rent or buy any video you want from iTunes, and play it on the big TV. :)

Note: TV-out apps are apps that were designed to work with the TV when it's connected. Apps like Keynote show full screen slides when connected to the TV, video players like AVPlayer play in full screen, and Games like Rage and AirSupremacy also take the full screen of the TV when connected.

18. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    In no particular order, my current top 10:

Silverfish
    Forget Me Not
    Super Crossfire
    Beyond Ynth
    Table Top Racing
    Skyriders
    Alien Breed
    Super Mega Worm
    Temple Run (original)
    Super Ox Wars

Runners-up:

Mrs. Pac-Man for iPad
    Paper Monsters
    Super Lemonade Factory
    Gunman Clive
    Dynamite Jack
    Metal Slug (I have #3)
    Plasma Sky
    Midway Arcade
    Hungry Master
    Retro Racing
    Fix-It Felix (lost iCade support in latest update; fix it, Felix!)
    Pac-Man for iPad (lost iCade support in latest update)

All of the above except for the Pac-Man titles run on both iPhone and iPad (universal or dual apps) with iCade support.

19. Yes, as xeyad points out, 1080p plays great on my ipad 3 with hdmi tv. I have seen some stuff on itunes, and it looks very close to blueray. It's probably compressed a little bit more to save disk space, but the clarity of the screen was amazing.

I often download stuff from Youtube which is close to hd quality, and it plays really well too, even better than 1080i hdtv broadcasts in many cases. So it is great to be able to watch things in 1080p when available. I'm sure in the future there will be more and more 1080p content available everywhere. Here is a sample picture of youtube on my tv.

[​IMG]

Added to original top 10 post here

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2792487&postcount=253

Which is linked on the first page of the hdmi thread, post 2 under top 10 icade games.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173262

20. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Yeah you can get either 720p or 1080p depending on the source but it looks amazing. I've bought a few movies and tv shows over itunes and I use Avplayer HD daily to watch all my mkvs on the bigscreen and it just works flawlessly over hdmi.

And if I wanted to do it Connector-Style it would be:
    "Insert picture here"

(Kidding Connector :D )