Universal [WIP] Fugl – a 60 fps voxel flying game from the creator of Melodive

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gjestland, Nov 2, 2014.

1. alex_p

alex_p Well-Known Member

Cool game, the way that dolphin hit the wall at the end of the trailer made me lol though! :)

2. Dead Rashad

Dead Rashad Member

Jun 17, 2016
  3. RedDeath23

RedDeath23 Member

Dec 10, 2014
    First off: Thank you for the invite to test Fugl! I am absolutely loving the game and play it daily. I think the flying in the game is phenomenal, as well as the art and randomly-generated qualities. I've played it enough now where I think I can offer some suggestions; the game is great as is, these are just some immediate thoughts. I apologize if they have been considered dozens of times already:

- I really like the perching mechanic. I think it could be made a little bit easier to perform, though. It might be user error, but I find myself coming in to land and it seems like it should be smooth but I very slowly crash ha ha!

- Is there a screenshot or camera tool I'm unaware of? I saw mention of it earlier in the thread but can't find it. Some way to take nice screenshots would be nice; I see so many things I want to snap that end up being awkward to do with the standard screenshot process of the iPhone.

- Some way to pause would be nice. Only if it is unobtrusive. Something like shake the phone or tap the corner 3 times; something like that where there doesn't have to be an ugly HUD pause button.

- An option to allow background music/sounds from other apps! This is a big one for me. For example: play music from Spotify app while flying around in Fugl.

- An optional setting for the first-person/orbit camera swipe to act as a toggle. This way, I could swipe for the camera and it would stay locked into that camera mode until I swiped again.

Some Gameplay Ideas:

- Hidden portal to a random biome. Fly around and find one in the bottom of the volcano, for example, and get transported to the caves biome. It would allow skilled flyers to fly continuously and not have to go to the menu to swap biomes. Something like this would be enjoyable, I think.

- Hidden object. I'm thinking a star or something (like in Pilotwings 64). When found, it could trigger something to happen in the current biome. Maybe have the colors invert or change to a random psychedelic assortment of colors? Something visually appealing to make it worth finding. The more I think about it, the more I want it in there! Haha.

- Add something to pick up (or another mode entirely?) that will randomly generate a tricky flight path to follow and complete. I know that rings are overplayed and obtrusive haha, but something to give a flight goal would be cool, but totally optional.

I think the overall appeal of the game should still be maintained as a peaceful, relaxing bird-flight simulator. Adding some exploratory elements would be very fun though, in my opinion. I already search out every nook and cranny of the landscape before moving on to a different biome, so having something to find would encourage exploration even more. I love the game even with nothing else added! Thanks.

4. Marcoapc

Marcoapc Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2014
    When it's time to chill and rest those legs a bit :p

[​IMG]

5. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks Red! Been working on deer animations for the last week, we're aiming to make some if not all animals interact in different ways with the world. Appreciate it bro!

6. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks so much Rashad!

7. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Haha ty, the animals can be so silly some times XD

8. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Attack!! Some prey fight back ;D

[​IMG]

9. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    "Do a Barrel Roll!"

[​IMG]

10. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Dancing Dolphin!

[​IMG]

11. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Pelican dive-bombing! Time to catch some ><>

[​IMG]

12. RedDeath23

RedDeath23 Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I really admire how fluid the animations are even though they are composed of blocky cubes! I can't wrap my head around that but it's very nice. Thanks for sharing so many!

13. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks so much man! Some take a bit of time to make them work well, thanks for the encouraging words friend!

14. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Gorilla Pounding!

[​IMG]

15. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Hi!

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I really appreciate it. We are already working on a picking up mechanic, but shake to pause is a great tip. Also we have some basic portal fuctionality going on also. I disabled the screenshot utility for now, but its coming back.

Cheers,
    Johan

16. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Fugl progress

Hi all and thank you for your patience. A lot of focus has been on VR and PC lately, but I'm happ to announce that we are working on a new iOS version now. It has been a lot of complications, but we're well underway. A lot of new things are coming, but we're still a few weeks a way from a new build, so I'll keep my mouth shut for now, as i dont know what will make it to the new version.

I just want to assure everyone that we're still working on Fugl and will release on Oculus store in October and on iOS in January/February, as october until new year is a bad releae window for indies with unknown IPs. But we'lll release on iOS before PC.

17. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Running Gorillas!

[​IMG]

18. cadillackills

cadillackills Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Worth the wait. I'd rather dev being happy than rushing one of the best experiences on iOS. Cheers!

19. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Means so much bro! Thank you :D

Here are some of the latest creature :)

Revised the hermit crab shell (more realistic), a bunch of different horses, revised the turtle as well (more cute ;D), a variety of cobras and some swinging gibbons among other creatures :p

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. Marcoapc

Dec 19, 2014
    Worked on some trees lately, trying to have them more defined

Attached Files: