Reiner Knizia's Monumental

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by conlan, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conlan

conlan Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Mobile Developer
    California
    Your Journey Begins

A hidden temple has been discovered! Will the Mayan gods be pleased with your progress or will you bring their wrath upon you like countless others before...

Prepare yourself for this new puzzler designed by award winning game designer, Reiner Knizia!

[​IMG]

How to Play

- Swipe stones to the left or right to fill rows.

- Rows are scored on 3 matching colors, 3 matching symbols, or 3 matching number of symbols. Rows that contain identical pairs of stones also score.

- Combine matches across rows to score even higher.

- Broken stones can only be scored by color and do not match in any other way.

- Drag dynamite onto unwanted stones to destroy them. You receive new dynamite when the supply truck reaches your base camp.

[​IMG]

Game Over When...

- Challenge mode: when the bottom row displaying skulls is scored.

- Action mode: when you you run of time. You receive a time penalty when the bottom row displaying hourglasses is scored.

[​IMG]

Features (v1.0)

- Designed exclusively for iPhone/iPod Touch. From the ground up.

- Multiple game modes. Play Challenge to test your long term planning skills or Action for your mental reflexes.

- Beat the record. Top 50 high scores for world, country and personal for measuring your progress.

- Game saver. Close the app to answer a call, text or email. Your current game will pause and resume next time you play.

- Immersive music and effects. But don't worry, you'll have the option to listen to your music instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look for it in the app store early November! It will be under the Puzzle / Strategy section for $1.99.

Follow for game news and updates

@ twitter.com/conlan

And of course a big thanks to playtesters mrbass, VeganTnT, Big Albie, & LordGek!!!

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    looks really cool

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I can't get enough of these Knizia games. I'm looking forward to this and Roto.

4. Backflip Studios

Backflip Studios Well-Known Member

This looks great, I love Knizia games in general. Thanks for bringing these to the iPhone!

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This game kicks ass and what I think is so cool is that, much like the upcoming Roto game, Dr. Knizia was working with Conlan to make an all new game! This is NOT a port of a previous Knizia board/card game but something all new for the iPhone (unless I misunderstood something from my conversations with you, Conlan)!

It maintains that distinctive "Knizia" feel but it is pretty clear that this would never work as a real card or board game (complex scoring, clever timing aspects, charging up of power-ups, etc.).

Nice to know that the cat is finally out of the bag! :D

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Do we have ideas of release dates for this (and Roto for that matter)?

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think it was already submitted but pretty recently.

8. conlan

conlan Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Mobile Developer
    California
    Yup, that's correct! This is an all new game designed exclusively for the iPhone :)

We're really working hard on improving from the previous games, so now we have multiple game modes for different styles of play, and more high score tables for competition ;)

Also, a very nice original score composed by Mike Weiser :)

Edit: Monumental was submtted pretty recently, so we should hopefully see it available sometime early next week (fingers crossed)

9. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Been playing this a bit while I've been on the road, and Monumental is great. The game concept of matching is something that people should get right away, but strategy is key since there's a twist to it all.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    There is so much fun to this game's whole "risk vs. reward" mechanics!

You could simply match a single element (just ensure all tiles are of the same color) on either side of a given row and qualify enough to NOT DIE, but if you could instead have two horizontally aligned rows with some identical tiles or at least have the pieces that match on multiple levels (color, symbol, and number of symbols) you'll make BOOKU POINTAGE!

11. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    There are a lot of ways to make matches and because the tiles come down the middle and you're dealing with levels, some planning is required if you want to strategize for moves down the road.

12. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    iTunes Germany got it this morning! Downloading... :)

13. conlan

conlan Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Mobile Developer
    California
  14. abstractgamefreak

abstractgamefreak Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Male
    Musician
    Germany
    #14 abstractgamefreak, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    @conlan:
    Would you care to explain a bit how the timer works in action mode? It still comes like a surprise when the game suddens ends not because of two not scoring bottom lines... :confused: There are little blue/red dots around the stone face in the center of the screen, but these are really tiny, so I can't tell whether they count down in a way?

15. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG