Firewall - the board game - call for testers

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by aviadbd, Nov 13, 2011.

1. aviadbd

aviadbd Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    #1 aviadbd, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
    A lot of time has passed since my original request for comments post, and now is the time for testing the game with more than our small QA community. I'm using TestFlight, and am recruiting testers through this recruitment link. I'd love to see as many people there as possible trying the game before its launched! (For old times sake, note that this post is reposted from BoardGamesGeek, where I posted a similar introduction post as well.)

Just a reminder for what Firewall is:

- A board game for two players
    - Two layer tactics:
    -- First by moving your army on the board, taking and blocking the opponent's units
    -- Another is by using cards to manipulate the games, making units into "poison" or unable to attack.

I'm trying to rollout the game as quickly as possible now that the main mechanics are finished, but I'm also working behind the scenes to add much needed features such as support for iOS 5 Turn-Based gameplay and single player gameplay..!

Update: Turn-based gaming is already here, see comments below for more info!

A nice introduction is shown in the following video:

2. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    I'll ask the Beta Testing Alliance (BTA) group, here on TouchArcade if any of the members are interested.

The BTA is a group of individuals with an interest in beta testing IOS games.

3. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    You'll ask them? I don't know - how do I get in contact with them? I couldn't find their group on this forum... :confused:

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    It's a private group (without developers), but I posted a link to this thread for you. Some of our most active members have exams to deal with, so the group is less active than usual currently.

FYI - The TA social groups are here:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/group.php

5. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    All clear now, sounds great! Thanks!

Let me know if/when they would like to join in!

6. ZappedCow

ZappedCow Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Definitively something I'm looking forward to play :)

Subscribed for beta!

7. williamsyee

williamsyee Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    @Red1 Thanks for the link on BTA!

Alright, signed up for beta test! :)

8. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    Thanks for those joining up!

I'm working hard on making the turn-based game-play available, which will definitely help with the testing!

If you're looking to file any feedback, feel free to use either this thread or the TestFlight feedback..!

Thanks again!

9. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    Love to test this game out. Let me know if i am accepted.

Cheers

10. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    I accept everyone at the moment. Just apply through the link, you'll get a mail notification within a few days.

Thanks!

11. williamsyee

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    It said:
    "This device cannot install this build
    This iPhone 3GS has not been given permission to install this build. Testflight will notify you when your developer permits this device to install future builds."

I got the test flight email, but it doesn't appear on my dashboard, when I tap install through my iPhone mail, it prompts the message above. :/

12. ZappedCow

ZappedCow Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Got the same message with iPhone 4 :(

Maybe this is related to the fact that you added some iOS 5 features? I'm still running on iOS 4.xx (I know.. I know..)

13. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    Do you have a few devices (i.e. more than one?) Did you register all devices with TestFlight? If so, and you still get this message, I probably missed your second device. It should be fixed with the next version I'll upload.

Otherwise, this is a weird message. The game has been installed on a 3GS with iOS 4.1 successfully so far..

14. williamsyee

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    I have iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.0.1 the latest os version. :)

15. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    Okay, I've checked it. You should receive an email soon with the install button and your devices should be enabled. :)

16. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    Alright! The feature that will make your life playing Firewall much, much easier is here!

Using iOS 5's turn-based gameplay, now Firewall can be played asynchronously. Just click the big "heart" button to start a game (which might seat you with another player), or the smaller "heart" button to continue a game. Game Center will notify you when you have a turn waiting by marking the game with a badge. It's as simple as that!

I'm sure this would make testing and enjoying the game much easier, since this means you don't need another player to interactively play the game with you at the same time.

Enjoy the game and please write feedback, either here or on TestFlight!

Thanks!

17. williamsyee

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    Suggestions:
    ==========
    -Maybe should have a small notice/pop-out to let me know "is 2nd player turn now" instead of bring me back to main menu screen immediately.

Misc:
    ====
    -On main menu screen, are all those icons are placeholder?
    -I got a badge notification, but I got no active game. Any idea?
    -There are about 13 active games on GC. Not too sure how many games I had created, just waiting my turn now.

18. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    Thanks for trying Firewall, williamsyee! I'll try to respond to your remarks..

Do you mean after making a turn in the turn-based game?

No. Only the heart icons are..

Actually no. The badge is set there automatically by Game Center; Did you click the small heart icon? Did it show you the list of games you're in currently and none were your turn?

I've noticed a few of your games are opened vs. me. I played a few moves.. You should get a notification. Did you create all those games? Do you think there are more games than the amount of times you have clicked the big heart button?

19. williamsyee

Jun 24, 2011
    SQA
    1. Yes, maybe adding message like "Ending your turn", then back to menu screen.

2. So, I assume those icons you haven arrange nicely, it is quite messy for me.

3. I think I don't get notification from GC because I on and off my sandbox.

4.The numbers are correct, I just create another 3 games to test single player, but it automatically goes to multiplayer. Any idea, how to play single player like you mention in your first post?

New:
    ===
    Suggestions:
    ========
    1. What about adding sort of game name in each match? I got so many games at one time, it would be quite confused which game I'm actually in.

Misc:
    ===
    1. Are we draw a new card each turn?
    2. I found out sometimes I'm black and sometime I'm white. Is it the first person who initiate the game is white and second player is black?

20. aviadbd

Apr 26, 2011
    Software n' stuff
    #20 aviadbd, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
    Hmm.. Let me regroup your questions as I might be able to answer them better like that.

I'm thinking of adding a message at the beginning of the game saying "[yourname] white, X points vs. [hisname] black, Y points" to make it clear who's who and what's the status of the game. Regarding name for the game, I have no idea how to generate one, but I thought that the same title could be a good name for the game on the Game Center matchmaking menu. What do you think?

Unfortunately there is no single player yet. As stated in the first post, I was working hard on adding turn-based gaming and single player mode. I finished with turn-based so far, single player might take a little while longer. The big heart, as stated, is for starting a turn-based game.

Yes. I now notice that this isn't stated clearly in the instructions. This should be fixed.

If you think I haven't answered something (because I did clear away some statements that we both agree on) just let me know. :)

Thanks again for your comments!