OS 3.0... Worth it for iPod touch users?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by XGLITE, Jun 17, 2009.

1. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    As well as having to pay $9.99 for it, iPod touch users can't use many of the features and all of us will have to wait a bit until 3.0 is fully utilized with apps such as killtest/livefire and sims 3.

So is this worth it or just a great scam by Apple...

2. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    You will have to sooner or later. Once devs release 3.0 only games like Touchgrind and Vans SK8, it's pretty much unavoidable.

3. joehunt

joehunt Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    I upgraded my Ipod Touch because I have a feeling that many of the new game releases will require it.

4. lorry9

lorry9 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    i did to for the same reason.

5. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Spotlight search alone is worth it.

6. thekidkid32

thekidkid32 Member

May 2, 2009
    I really don't see the excitement over it for ipod touch users. It takes up space, the push features I'd say most people will keep off because of battery life and not being all that important, I certainly will, and all the other main features are just a bunch of more ways to shell out money. I just don't see a reason to spend $10 on this. Am I alone here?

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Does OS 3.0 allow better organization of my games?

Hey Knowers of OS 3.0,

Will OS 3.0 allow anything like either folders or the ability to break the arbitrary 9 page limit? I have way too many games and hat having to uninstall rarely used games that I might still once in a Blue Moon get back to and would not want to have to "re-unlock" all of the bonus content and achievements I'd already earned.

So do any of the new OS 3.0 features address this kind of stuff?

8. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    No sir! Unfortunately.

9. XGLITE

XGLITE Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    England
    No. I feel spotlight and shake to change song are great additions but I don't see the others being of use. It is 9.99!

10. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    No folder making in 3.0

11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There are already a ton of updates that are making their way through iTunes that require 3.0. Is $10 worth being left behind?

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    As I've stated in other threads, I think that since the Spotlight feature (the search function in 3.0) lists all of the apps on your device that match your search, and allows you to remotely launch them within it, then that could also mean that if you go over the now 11 page limit and have apps on there that you can't "see" by going through the pages, you should be able to search them out and remotely launch them from within Spotlight.

But no one has confirmed this, really. I think someone mentioned that this is indeed the case, and if so...I guess your problem would be kinda solved right there.

13. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    I have downloaded 3.0 and am glad I did. The search is great but so far the biggest plus for me is a considerably faster internet experience with Safari.

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Does the search function allow you to remotely launch apps that are over the page limit (hidden apps)?

15. Well I keep updating (check for update) says the 3.0 I got last week is current so I guess for devs it's free. That'll save me $30 to $40.

16. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Sorry, don't have enough apps to have any hidden so I can't say.

17. Adaptive Logic

Feb 3, 2009
    No, but now the limit is 11 pages rather than 9. Thats 32 more applications! :D

18. McGill

McGill Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida

Someone said no, but funny...i updated & now have 11 pages + a search page...

19. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

The landscape keyboard in mail and cut, copy + paste are also very good additions. Spotlight search is so useful, will save me so much time in not having to navigate 11 pages of apps! Doesn't search bookmarks though unless their on a homescreen.

Also, the game features are starting to flow already. Being able to change my music within the game is one of the simplest but best features.

@spiffy, what is a "hidden app" and how the hell do you have apps that are outside the page limit?

20. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    Can someone link me to the download? And how do you back your games up after installing 3.0?