Who is mad at this?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by craighauser, Nov 22, 2009.

1. craighauser

craighauser Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Is it just me or does anybody else absolutely hate the idea of in app purchases? That new dog game, eliminate, rolando 2. It sucks the fun out of it because to be good, you have to pay. Ugh. I hope this trend doesn't continue!

2. Tendog

Tendog Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    CA
    Yeah, it kinda seems ridiculous. I just want the game when I get it, I don't want to have to buy it in installations.

3. craighauser

Nov 18, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    for sure unless they are big expansion packs with more levels. I just hate how you have to pay for upgrades to give yourself an advantage over other people.

4. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Having to keep buying stuff to play a game sucks. I like paying one time for a game, and then having access to all of the game's features, all the time. Though paying for DLC, depending on what it is, is fine with me.

I hope developers will start moving towards ditching the whole Lite thing and just have it so you download one version, then have to do an in-app purchase to unlock the full game. It'll help prevent piracy, at least for a while.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You never have to pay a cent if you don't want to for both Eliminate and Touch Pets.

6. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    I like in-app purchases. It lets me chose what I want to download. So when I'm done with playing what I've downloaded I'll pay and play what's next.

7. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I don't mind it when the ingame items are worth it, since eliminate was given to us for free I found it worth my time to buy about £1.79 worth of power cells, but that's all as the game is annoying now, plus they keep changing the energy recharge rates... one day it's near instant and another day it's 4 hours. VERY off putting. Plus the price for cells is too much for too little.

Apart from that i'm cool with it. Rolando 2 does it well as buying all the chapters is the same price as buying the app fully on the app store, at today's asking price that is.

8. craighauser

Nov 18, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    hmm

those are some good points, I just like there to be an even playing field you know? I will fork out 10 bucks for a good game that everybody pays for but like in eliminate, I just deleted it because I'd have to wait so long and then get killed in a few seconds because I had regular stuff and this one guy had the laser haha, didnt last long

9. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I kind of go back and forth on the subject.

Would rather buy a game and get a certain amount of gameplay commensurate with the purchase price.

I do think, in general, there should be some attempts to add new content to keep customers who have bought your app interested in maybe buying your other apps.

If they do add new free content and then do DLC, I am not opposed to this.

When I say new free content, I am not saying massive amounts need to be added, just something to freshen the experience maybe.

The massive new content, charge extra for, as there is a lot of time, effort, and money involved in developing.

There just needs to be a balance somewhere, I guess.

As for Eliminate and Touch Pets, they feel like money pits to me and something I would never get into.

David

10. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    they need to make money somehow. So i have no problem w in app purchase, as long as the content worth the price.

11. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Agreed as Luc Bernard said "It is raping the customer"

The only place I feel DLC is warranted is in complete games that can offer their fans more content. Making people pay for more content in an incomplete game (IE Command and Conquer and soon to be fieldrunners) or making the customer continually pay to play (eliminate and touchpets) is unfair

12. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    I feel that it's acually alright, but it shouldn't be carried away.

For example, if a dev was finished with a game and wanted to add a expansion pack onto it, but with a lot more things, instead of .99 cent stuff.

13. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    In App Purchases are good if they aren't unnecessary or being abused

From your examples:
    Rolando 2: It is a lite version that allows you to get the entire game without having to download the full app or just to buy one level if you don't want the whole game. Not a rip off, just a way of testing before you buy

Eliminate: This DLC is probably a good example of how it can work effectively. We were given a taster of basically unlimited energy and the servers were laggy and seriously sucked. The game works as it is and if you want to to speed up the game for yourself go ahead and get more energy cells.

Touch Pet Dogs: This game is what I see as Ngmoco being greedy. This isn't the type of game where buying more food works well, it should be an in-game currency item with DLC for special clothes of something. This game would be so much better if it was like $4.99 with food to be bought in-game for your hard earned puppy bucks

With the last two you don't have to pay a cent to play, it's not like you can't get food or energy without paying every time, its just you have to wait longer.

14. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    IMO the in app purchases in eliminate seen way too similar to an mmorpg for me to even consider buying any. Which is also part of why I have deleted eliminate (that and the fact that I suck at fpses)

the Rolando 2 system though seems to be a good idea though because then you only pay for the level packs you need and if you can't even complete the first one then there's no point paying for harder ones.

15. hapz

hapz Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    um...

downloadable content pretty much replaces lite versions of games..

however subscription/charge base games are emerging...

i would ONLY hate it if i purchased a game and expect FREE updates for minor content/new maps instead of being forced to pay for extra stuff when i already payed for the game..

16. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Well it's one way to stop piracy amirite?

17. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    It's both good and bad at the same time.

The good: It stops piracy. If you pirate a game but you only end up getting half the game, then you still have to pay. I also think that pirated games block in-app purchasing. Also, it allows more games to be free, so you can play the game, see if you like it, then buy the rest if you do. Used properly, it ends up being just like the XBL marketplace, where you can buy stuff like new maps etc.

The bad: We end up having to pay more. It's pretty lame when you buy a game to learn that you have to pay more to get everything. Usually though, most games that have DLC as a huge part are free, and let you purchase the full game. I like the way that Rolando 2 works where you can get Chapter 1 for free, then buy the rest as you go. In the end, you pay the same amount.

So it can either be good or bad, depending on how it's used. Unfortunatley, I have the feeling that some dev is going to have it backfire on them, and the whole thing's going to become useless.

18. Derochea72

Derochea72 Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Floor installer
    Ma
    Dlc is fine

Maps and expansion packs are fine but paying to play is dumb (eliminate). I think they should eliminate the whole idea and you should earn your way up the leaderboards rather than paying $ to be better than the next guy. They ruined homerun battle online with the buying new uniforms that give you super stats which gives a huge advantage to those of us that are trying to earn our stats. Takes the fun away from what was a good game

19. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    Granted but they have gone from being games I might have otherwise bought to "No Thanks" (Okay, well maybe not touch pets I'd give that a miss anyway.) My belief is aside from all the marketing and manipulation - if the game/concept is good enough IT WILL SELL. I see this new direction as a shortcut to thinking, to creativity. I can see this new model potentially sucking all the goodness that is idevice gaming into a black hole. Have we peaked? Be well Eli.

20. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

What?