TA posted about Apple removing old apps

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LordShad0wz, Sep 4, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I just read that Apple starting on September 7th is going to start removing old apps that have not been updated or do not work or comply with the newest OS standards.

Goodbye TA App lol

Billy

2. Desertking24

Desertking24 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Goodbye to most games lol

3. Desertking24

Desertking24 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I would say good bye to 90 percent of my games so basically Apple is threatening game developers to create an update or their game will be gone? But if the game isn't broke then why tweak it?

4. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Let's not jump into any conclusions yet. Might not be as bad as we think.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Why not? We're just being human. :D

6. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    There are currently over 650k games on the app store and probably no one really cares about 625k of them. But when you search the app store those 625k games still show up and they might limit the visibility of the 25k good games people want to play. So in theory an app store with less games is good. But knowing Apples automated approval system, there will be errors. Personally I'm kind of okay with that and I assume Apple will fix their errors, because the number of unsupported and crappy games on the app store is getting ridiculous. Apple won't let the app store become a wasteland for games.

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    With how little premium games there are compared to free ones, it's scary just thinking about how many will be left standing.

8. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Don't really think this is premium vs free situation or good vs bad games, more of a active vs inactive situation.

9. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    What about there's no need to a game being update but it is fully functional?

Apple need to rethink its updates pushing stance. There's no need to update just for the sake of updating.

10. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    iOS 10 is gonna break alot of apps isn't it?

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I think that's a given. :p

Still, I think we should all wait until this thing with removing apps happens before jumping to conclusions. Let's just say that if Helsing's Fire (fully functioning, updated recently, yet still [and probably never will be] not updated for screens over 3.5 inches) is removed (or Forget-Me-Not, which just hasn't been updated in like 5 years), then we have something to be concerned about.

12. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I'm on iOS 10 and I'm fine. Maybe it'll be removed from the AppStore?

13. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    I really love iOS gaming, but I get the feeling that Apple mismanage their games.

I am thinking about moving back to consoles and only have a few selected mobile games from now on.

That's sad.

14. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Good thing MHFU got updated this year. Else it might be taken down as well

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I know it's different, but with a general cutting off like this one, it's usually a fixed percentage that will affect the entire thing. This in turn reduces the number of premium games and freemiums, but i was just concerned with premiums.

That doesnt consider the fact that premiums have less staying value (no daily rewards and other "come-here" tactics) compared to freemium ones which could make them less active.

16. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I read that 84% of the iOS App Store fees to Apple comes from 1% of the companies out there (much like modern world economics where 1% own 84% of the US' wealth or something like that:(). Apple's covered either way.

I'm guessing the concern is, many premium games will get hocked. It simply isn't worth it for many premium game devs without sustainable revenue sources, whereas the freemium models have an easier time keeping up with the Joneses.

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #17 LordShad0wz, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Truthfully when I posted my only concern was for the TA app. It's the primary way I interact with the site. Believe it or not it's how I found the site originally when I got my iPhone and was looking for gaming review apps. I love the TA app and would be devastated if it's lost.

When I read about Apples plans it upset me and I posted. I didn't know, and still haven't seen, the TA post about it. I have to go look for it.

Billy

18. Dams

Dams Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    The share menu of the TA App is def broken. Only showing "EMail" option now.