the Best tower defence game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheBeastlyNinja, Aug 8, 2009.

1. TheBeastlyNinja

TheBeastlyNinja Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    I have a ipod with the 2.2.1 update and i want to know the BEST tower defence game. Price is not really a thing.
    Tower defence games I have are:

Sentinel 2

Tower Madness

Yes, I know I dont have alot of TD games but I really want to get one but I dont know which to get(hence, this tread).

2. TheBeastlyNinja

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    Defender chronicles is os3.0 only(or else i would already have it, i hear its awsome)

3. Hudson RL

Hudson RL Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    England
    i like star defense the most, i love the 3d planets and im a big fan of plus+, so this game is great challenging friends.
    to me sentinel 2 comes in just after star defense because i do not like open feint, the game would be far better to me if it used a social network like plus+

still a great game though

4. TheBeastlyNinja

Aug 3, 2009
    Computer stuff
    Right behind you
    star defence is os3.o too

5. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Geo Defense
    Geo Defense Swarm (coming soon)
    7 Cities

Yeah there's not really that many "great" TD's out there that havent already been posted

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    and it has a poll :p

anyway I would say geoDefense and 7 cities

7. mrholder

mrholder Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2008
  8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It all begins and ends with Elemental Monster TD.

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    ...and what's with the Time/Life operator chick in the Deep game and advertisement at the bottom of the screen?

10. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    you have got the mission

11. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I have indeed. I'm pretty sure I'd go on any mission she sent me on.

12. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Just use the thread in my post. There are loads of TDs there to choose from and some are highly recommended.

13. matriax

matriax Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Working on VideoGames
    Geo Defense and Star Defense are my favourites.

14. kaizoku

kaizoku Member

Aug 8, 2009
    I've played loads of tower defense on almost every platform out there and geoDefense is the best I've ever played.

Why? its really challenging, but not TOO challenging. and its challenging in the right ways. you never feel like its the game's fault you lose or that its unfair.

There's 30 levels and they're all well designed and tweaked which is brilliant for a cheap game, Fieldrunners costs more and only has 3 maps! This isn't just a generic map with enemies taking slightly different routes each time either, these are set paths and enemy combinations which have been thought out, tested and tweaked to death. Which means to conquer it you really have to think about your tower placement.

This is different from games like Defender Chronicles which is just a generic path more or less and you have set places you can build stuff, and I guess the challange is simply to throw more and more enemies at you and see if you can upgrade in time.

and its graphically one of my favourite games in years. When things get hectic and sparks are flying everywhere and its just this awesome multicoloured fireworks show on your screen, its an incredibly satisfying experience.

15. Camzy

Camzy Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Take his advice. He loved it so much he created a new account just to tell you this :p

16. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Kaizoku,

I respect your viewpoint but let me explain to you the design decision that we have made for Defender Chronicles.

The original design of the game was started with Master/Heroic difficulty and no RPG (no hero leveling up, no items to purchase/equip). This is where we design the game to be strategic. All of our testers have tested the game with these constraints and found that the game is really challenging; though they can still beat it.

From there, we added Casual/Veteran difficult (there is no Novice at initial release). We took a different approach for this. Instead of just reducing the enemies HP or making the gaps among the enemy units wider, we redesigned the wave data from the ground up. We want these 2 difficulties to provide a different experience.

The idea is that we want Casual/Veteran to be more "arcade" instead of strategic. These 2 difficulties are designed for introducing the mechanic of the game to new players. We want players to be able to get lot of gold and can build more (easy money). So, we threw lot of enemies that started of very weak but would become as strong as in Master/Heroic at the end of the map. But at the end of the map, players will have built 3 to 5 times more guilds than Master/Heroic so it should still be easier.

So for those who have the game and haven't tried the higher difficulties, I would recommend you to do so if you are really looking for a strategic gameplay. There are very few enemies (about 70% to 80% less) at these levels but every decision that you made will become critical. You can also play Master/Heroic for the Classic mode. There is no RPG element and it's exactly the same as it was originally designed.

The game may seem to be really challenging at Master/Heroic. But it's not impossible. Each map is its own puzzle and there is a solution for it. Some of our forum users have beaten them. It's actually not too hard but you will need a different TD hat to wear because of its uniqueness (vertical vs top-down).

Some tips:
    - Enemies will walk slower on the uphill. Be aware that this can really make a difference.
    - Try to upgrade most guilds to at least level 3. But keep the possibility that you may have to leave some at level 1 and 2.
    - There is no usual slow tower. Warriors can do similar thing but it's still different.
    - Sometime, you may have to place guilds at 2 or more separate concentrated locations.

17. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    My List of Great TD's in order of my liking:
    ----------------------------------------
    Defender Chronicles
    Sentinel 2: Earth Defense
    geoDefense and geoDefense: Swarm
    Star Defense
    Fieldrunners
    ElementalMonster: TD
    TowerMadness
    ----------------------------------------
    That's all! :D

18. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I'd wait for Hardgore if I were you.

19. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Defender Ch is probably my favorite for now.

Besiegement is also one of my favorites. The graphics are not the best at first sight but the gameplay and leveling is pretty good. One of the TD games that did well for me in terms of repeat playability.

Geo Defense is great as well but there are times I wish there's an option to get 50 or more waves on each difficulty levels. There are also a few instances when the game would freeze a bit during tower placement especially when you're carefully trying to allign your laser towers. Hope the devs would deal with this, that is if they even plan to release an update.

Tap Defense is also awesome for a free TD. Don't let the politicians ruin your day. :D

20. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    My bad...I skimmed through your first post too quickly. But I would recommend you to upgrade to 3.0 and then get D. Chronicles! The next update is going to be epic. But otherwise I suggest geodefense like everyone else has said.