Books or tips on chess-like AI...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arkanigon, Mar 28, 2009.

1. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    We have an app called Shape Chess... it is a variation on chess... unfortunately the AI is extremely weak... I have found it extremely challenging to program the AI without the CPU taking extremely ridiculous amounts of time to make a move...

Any advice or tips.. or books for this type of thing?

I've seen chess-engines available to use, however this won't help me since the game isn't exactly chess...

2. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Would you be able to use an open source engine? GNU chess comes to mind. However you must read the license agreement CAREFULLY..

3. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    maybe... but I think it will be something I'll have to program from the ground up... Thanks.

4. Xyzl

Xyzl Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    If you're writing your own AI, you could try to prune the decision trees so that they're not evaluating too many levels deep. Or perhaps you could try to write some heuristics that mighty help you avoid diving down certain branches.

5. vladtheimpaler

May 9, 2009
  6. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

7. Are you using negamax?

8. ghostdogstudio

ghostdogstudio Active Member

May 13, 2009
    iOS developer, Beer drinker, Zombie puncher
    Convict Hill, TX
    #8 ghostdogstudio, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
    We wrote a chess AI based on min/max trees and a shallow move history. Researching those topics and how to build and recurse through a knowledge base will start you on the right path. Also follow Xyzl's advice and check out GNU chess.