Ouya and how it will change the perception of mobile

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Crude, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Crude

Crude Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Ouya is a $99 android gaming console just released. It raised $8.6 Million dollars on Kickstarter.

The concept is nice. I have always been a console gamer, it's only until recently where I've started playing most of my games on my phone. This is mostly due to the fact I'm rarely home and games are just too darn expensive.

This sounds like it's the best of both worlds. The cheap price of mobile games with the controls of the console. I have yet to try the console out but I'd imagine playing Shadowgun & NOVA 3 on the Ouya would be nice.

What does the community think about the Ouya? Reviews have been pretty rough so far.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Personally, it might be nice to have options like Ouya. But the main reason I've gotten into mobile gaming is the very fact that it is mobile.

I still have an Xbox 360 that I play from time to time, but life doesn't play nice for dedicated console gaming for me anymore with the demands of work, kids, the house, the yard...etc. So a lot of my gaming is in the little breaks here and there that I can sneak it in wherever I am.

I know a lot of people here love iCade, but at least for me that also defeats the purpose and convience of mobile gaming.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i've heard and read about the bad reviews.

I think its a step in the right direction. Because of the success of the kickstarter you know there'll be plenty of other clones trying to beat the Ouya. New devices will be released which solves the problems of the Ouya (eg low memory size, is it 8 gig and you can only use 5.8 or something ?)

As the poster above said, i love my iOS device as i can take it with me at all times. But at some point it'll be great to attach it to a device when i'm home, eg the Gamedock which is coming out soon on iOS. That'll work with just iCade compatible games BUT you never know whats round the corner.

With Apple letting official controllers be available soon there'll be a whole load of them ready to use, i can see different joysticks, console-ish type things.

Its all good !

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Ouya is utter trash and I wouldnt trade my ipad mini as a pure gaming device for 1000 ouyas.

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I wouldn't even trade my Moga for it. Yet. So many issues with it. It's early, and they may fix these things over time/or not, but personally, I'm waiting for the perfect universal controller to use with my IOS, and/or Android devices. Would be great to use with HDMI for the big screen, or even better, cordless. I'll wait, or, actually, I'm good as it is!! Don't really NEED any of that...