How much do you like RPG elements?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kohjingyu, Mar 21, 2010.

?

How much do you like RPG elements?

1. I love them!

54 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. They're okay.

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. I hate them.

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    How much do you guys like RPG elements in a game? With the ability to gain exp, level up, etc.

Also, do you guys like it in ANY genre? Or are there some genres you think RPG elements would never work in?

2. sokaroka

sokaroka Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Aye likeh teh arr pee gee.

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    RPG elements have been the best part of many games I've enjoyed. Would you really play games like Eliminate if they didn't have them? It'd really be much more boring without those elements. Plus, they add a lot to the replay value. It's much better than the high score style replay value. Even games like Call of Duty have RPG elements. I find myself playing Modern Warfare 2 online longer than I thought I would just so that I could unlock that next gun or perk.

And I can't think of a genre that could be ruined by RPG elements. Even poker works with these elements, as demonstrated by Sword and Poker. Here's how each could work:

Racing - New tracks/cars/upgrades each level.
    Fighting - New characters and special moves each level.
    FPS/Dual Stick Shooter - New guns/levels/perks each level. Works especially well in survival shooters.
    Crime (GTA-style games) - New cars/guns/areas each level.
    Match 3 - I don't think I need to say anything other than "Puzzle Quest".
    Card - Sword & Poker. 'Nuff said.
    Asteroids - Space Miner.
    Turn Based/Real Time Stratey - New characters/units/abilites per commander level, and upgraded strength and defense each unit/character level.

As you can see, pretty much every genre works with RPG elements. I'm sure I've forgotten some, but those are most of the major ones right there.

4. sokaroka

sokaroka Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Yes!
    Sword and Poker was awesome.

Games such as Alive4Ever are so much more fun, simply because you unlock new stuff and the explosions get bigger as you go :p

5. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    im a complete, drooling sucker for RPG elements, i love them THAT much.. its the sole reason i picked up the old gameboy versions of Mario Golf and Tennis, they just make any game better.

6. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    lmao, nice sig Ranko

7. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Lol, those elements had me hooked up on Mario Tennis too :p, guess I wasnt alone :p.

Yes, we love RPG

8. Electric_Shaman

Electric_Shaman Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Yes, but only if it isn't to a pointless end / the system is too transparent
    i.e. - I hate it when the game world levels up at the same speed you do, it makes the whole exercise pointless

9. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I'm a huge fan of RPG's so I love RPG elements in a game. :)

10. laladanger

laladanger Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    They always make games better and add replayability for me. I'm also more likely to buy a game if I see there are RPG elements.

11. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I heard that for the new Fable they hid most of the RPG stat stuff, because they found out less than 50% of the players actually cared about them.
    I think this forum is particularly overrun by RPG fans though. :)

12. Drhank

Drhank Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I love them, if however the specific game doesn't have the "must-grind-1000-mobs-to-continue" grindfest.

But yea, in general RPG elements are a real favorite of me and I believe many more gamers.

13. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I care about RPG stat stuff, but at the same time you have to make sure you don't intimidate newcomers. Your game is on the welcoming-fringe of the spectrum, while Necromancer Rising is on the intimidating-fringe.

You are right about this forum though, I recall a poll about everyone's favorite genre, and RPGs one by a mile.

14. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Hmm, looks like they'll have to be in.

15. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    They're great, as long as they're properly integrated and don't feel shoehorned in at the last minute, and don't force players to level/stat grind to progress (this is a big one, it can totally kill a game). Even platformers can benefit if done properly - Zelda 2 on the NES is a great example, and it's something I'm sad I haven't really seen since then.

16. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    I'd suggest to implement RPG elements into ALL games of ANY genres ;)

17. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I say it really depends on how they're used. If they're well integrated and intuitive then it's great. If it either a) feels tacked on to be able to claim they have it and the game would be the same without them or b) too much emphasis on the stat side that it begins to feel like micromanagement, then in my opinion it sucks.

18. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    I am new to RPG elements on game and since I discovered it I switch 100% to games with RPG elements. They have to be well balanced thou, to make a good game.

19. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    RPG elements work with most games, as stated above though, they can't make the game feel grindy. If it does, then its better to just go with a scoring system imo.

20. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    #20 bmn0210, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
    Two great examples of RPG elements done wrong would be Super Paper Mario - a mediocre trip-fest, where the damage and HP system do nothing but slow down the gameplay and make it feel both unnaturally paced and too easy - and La Mulana - an otherwise decent adventure game, where experience and levels are practically useless and you're constantly forced to grind for money, which takes forever.